Sunday 17 June 2007

Jim Halliday

Some of you are already aware, but I still feel it is my sad duty to report the death of J-lander Jim Halliday, halliday0957, at the age of 74. He was a larger than life character, recounting his escapades at home and away as a young man. His struggles with AOL and the Internet are proverbial, and I was only one among many who helped him along.

His last entry was made on 15 April, and in retrospect appears to be foreboding. In my quarter, deaths always come in threes, and he was the last of the threesome. I'll miss Jim, even if I've never met the man. Do not tell me that someone's character doesn't show in their writing.

Please call round at his journal before the account is closed, and leave a message for the family, which I hope will be appreciated.



7 comments:

  1. That's sad Guido, I didn't visit Jim on a regular basis but it's always sad to hear of a death in J-Land. Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so saddened to hear that Guido.  I wondered what was wrong as he sometimes dropped me an e-mail if he liked my entry or to thank me for leaving him a message.  I made friends with him instantly.  He was a gentleman of the 'Old School'.  I shall go across and leave my condolences.  Thank you for letting me know.   Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent his wife an e-mail with a few impressions of Jim about his talent and wonderful sense of humor.  Glad we got to know him as long as we did.   Gerry  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was sad when I  heard this news and totally agree,Jim was a character ,I too will miss his entrys and emails ...love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guido, it was so sad to get your email with the news.  Jim had disappeared before so I do not worry too much, I thought maybe he had health problems or had flown to America again to be with his son.  I have visited his journal and left my condolences for his family.  Will miss his tales.  Thank you for letting us know my friend.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S.  I did hear from him long after he made his last entry.  He emailed me when I was on the first week of my radiotherapy treatment wishing me well.  Yes, they always come in threes.  This is the second one for me as we found out a couple of days ago that a long time friend had passed.   It did sound bad about his having those falls I agree but I suppose we will never know what really happened.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was never introduced to Jim and his journal, but I called 'round to offer my condolences.  I think I would have enjoyed his style of writing, and I am so very sorry that he is gone.  You're right about his last entry; it was rather foreboding.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete