Saturday 16 June 2007

Saturday notes

We've lost the sun and it's quite breezy - a force 5 on the Beaufort scale. Still, it could be a lot worse, if I look at what has happened in Northern England and Ulster.

Thank you very much for the praise for the graphic in my previous entry - I did not make it, I get sent lighthouse graphics. If anyone is really desperate to know who made it, I can make enquiries. However, I'm not going to be drawn into recent spate of legalistics over graphics. I think the message that a lighthouse sends is more important, which is why I use that for heading up my Calls for Support. Reading the comments, I think the message is read correctly.

Salman Rushdie is now Sir Salman Rushdie. He was at the receiving end of a fatwah, basically an Islamic death warrant, in 1988 over his turgid novel Satanic Verses. I had a look at it and couldn't even finish page 1. Yawn.

The Palestinians are now in a state of civil war, in my perception. One faction in control of Gaza, the other in control of the West Bank. I am sorry to say this is a serious case of shooting yourself in the foot. It won't solve anything, I just hope that BBC man Alan Johnston will come out of this alright. He has now been in captivity for nearly 100 days.

Off to the library now, back later.

3 comments:

  1. LOL on the 'dig' about graphics...  I've come to the conclusion it was vindictive attack on me and anyone else can use whatever they want.  LOL  Well, except for the person who started the mess, they are watching their p's and q's now.  
    hugs
    d

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lighthouse graphic is beautiful and I would like to know who made it purely to ask them if I could snag it myself!  Like you I get sent lots of graphics.  Lots of rain here and a chilly breeze.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your lighthouse tags Guido and feel they suit your Northern Trip Journal title too.  They are also useful to highlight alerts on those who are experiencing suffering and anguish in JLand.  I can't see the point in designing tags if thy are not shared around. I think it would be flattering to think folks wanted to use them if I were able to make them myself.  But that's as much as I will be drawn into it.
    We here in Northern England are experiencing a dry day.  We have just returned from a lovely walk in the contryside.  No rain..wooohooo!
    I agree with you entirely on Palestine. Dear Lord... why must they fight amongst themselves?  Why must they shoot their own kind?
    I never wanted to read all the hoohaa aabout Salman Rushdie.  The Ayatolla Khomieni(sp.) of those years only helped to give him a higher profile than he deserved when he served a Fatwa on him. I would like to know why he deserved a knighthood?  I too hope Alan Johnston will soon be released.   Jeanie

    ReplyDelete