Tuesday 19 June 2007

Tuesday notes

Fairly sunny, but with a lot of high cloud about. Still warm, but that's likely to change later in the week. Ferry is just turning up on the horizon, a wee bit on the late side.

A group of 1,550 people walked 54 miles of the West Highland Way, the long distance footpath between Fort William and Glasgow, over a 24 hour period. They did so for a charitable cause. The WHW extends as far south as Glasgow, but the walkers terminated their expedition south of Ardlui, on the shores of Loch Lomond.

Salman Rushdie's knighthood continues to stir up trouble. A Pakistan government minister has said that suicide bombings would be justifiable. Nice one, Islamabad. Rushdie's book, Satanic Verses, is perceived to be blasphemous to Muslims, and some of the more acerbic voices within the faith have said that the knighthood is a deliberate insult to Islam. Can't say I agree with that, but it's a situation that's been badly handled.

2 comments:

  1. Glad your weather is nice ours is grey with brightness, the sun might manage a outing later. I Think any excuse to lay a bomb at our door so to speak. All we need now is all islamic countrys saying its a insult and us British are on high alert yet again. I do not understand the book but i do not think Rushdie should get a knighthood  for it when there are more deserving people out there. I wonder if Prince Philip had a hand in this. lol he likes to stir up the public and media.
    love and hugs
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Salman Rushdie should have been knighted.  He hasn't done anything for our country or charity. (Apart from make it take a stand on freedom of speech. Of which I am proud!)   I reckon Tony Blair chose to put a spanner in the works for Gordon Brown when he takes over from him, as well as made the decision to put two fingers up at the Muslims as he goes out the door.  Any infant would have known what to expect by his honours list choice.  I suppose that's his way of asserting HIS freedom of choice.  lol!
    I have never taken to Rushdie...he has always worn an aura of 'smart intelllectual...nobody is as clever as me' look.  Now those good folks who walked for charity, I believe, should get mentioned in the honours list.   Just my opinion...Jeanie

    ReplyDelete