Tuesday 21 November 2006

Good morning

I won't be saying much about the weather: it's breezy, but not to the extent of the last few days, and not too cold. It will remain very changeable. Ferry is running today, so all back to normal.

Added a novelty to my blog: a GeoVisitor thingy. It sits directly below my Sitemeter. This item logs the location of all my visitors (I am positioned in Berkshire, west of London LOL). One visitor I managed to track down to a street west of Newton, Kansas. No, I won't come and cold-call on you.

Here in the UK, there is a Russian dissident in hospital with suspected thallium poisoning. Thallium is a rare metal and very toxic. Quantities as little as 1 gram can kill. I was not surprised to see a picture of the chap in hospital - with no hair. That is the least of the effects of thallium poisoning. It is actually used in homicides, dubbed inheritance dust. The man in question had been critical of Russia's president, Vladimir Putin, who used to be high up in the USSR's secret service, the KGB. Russia denies any involvement in his predicament, but it is suspected that the man was poisoned during a dinner invite.

Along similar lines, twenty-eight years ago, Bulgarian dissident Giorgi Markow was shot in London with a pellet containing ricin - fired from a converted umbrella. Last year, the trail to Markov's assassin was finally opened. Read the full story here.

Anyway, I trust our American friends are all busy preparing for Thanksgiving. Good luck, and don't over-indulge.

7 comments:

  1. Is this Russian dissident going to recover from it, or is he dying?? How easy is it to get this Thallium? I hope it is not, it is scary stuff.
    Good morning to you too.
    Valerie
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/iiimagicxx/surreality/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Guido, Another beautiful sunrise here in southern Ontario, Canada...Mother nature is being a good girl today. Hope your day is just as wonderful..Riss XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. See if you can track me down...hehehe.
    I'm gonna try & put that on my site too.
    Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is neat about the geo visiter.

    hugs
    jennifer

    now where am I?,LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can track me down, you can come visit Guido.  I'll show you some GOOD weather!! LOL!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your weather isn't too bad.  Saw a bit of snow here yesterday.  So, does your geo-thingy tell you where I'm located?  I'm not worried.  You'd have to travel pretty far to show up on my doorstep.  And if you did, we'd just invite you in and feed you! lol  Eler Beth would wow you with all of her fossils and rocks, and Thomas would talk your ear off.  I watched a part on a news program about that Russian man who seems to have been poisoned.  Hope you're having a good week.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. The GeoVisitor is a marvelous tool, and it's amazing that something like that can be avaliable.  If put in the wrong hands, something like that could end up very "Big Brother" or "1984".

    Very interesting about the Russian Dissident.  There is still so much unknown going on in Russia.  I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that the Soviet Union still existed at the beginning of my lifetime...not that long ago.

    -Kellen

    ReplyDelete