Friday 17 November 2006

Postage stamps, religion and 9/11

I received an email this evening in which recipients were asked not to buy a US Postal Service stamp, featuring the Islam festival of Eid. Eid is the celebration of the month of Ramadan or month of fasting. The reason for this request was the string of atrocities, committed by people calling themselves Muslims against American people and interests around the world. The attacks of 9/11 were carried out "in the name of Islam". Another reason is that although the USA is a primarily Christian country, it is not deemed politically correct (I deduce) to have the Ten Commandments featured on postage stamps. I am aware that for the sake of political correctness, expressions of Christian faith (such as Christmas) are being suppressed, in order not to offend those belonging to other religions. I think that's ridiculous. I wrote a few days ago that the pope himself has said: "When in Rome, you do as the Romans do". Or words to that effect.

Although I am writing from Europe, I will make a point in this American matter.

The people who planned and executed the atrocities like 9/11, Bali bombings, 7/7 London Underground bombs etcetera claim to act in the name of Islam. I know sufficient of Islam and Muslims to be able to say that the overwhelming, vast majority abhor such acts. These are not Islamic.

The perpetrators abuse religion as a pretext for mass murder, stating that America is an anti-Muslim state. They also say that infidels, those who do not belong to the Muslim faith, should be killed, according to the Islamic scriptures. This is a fallacy too.
The Koran makes specific provisions for Christians and Jews, as being the great religions of the world. It also states that those who do not belong to Islam are not subject to its teachings and laws. Abraham is a common forefather for Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

Nonetheless, it is up to everybody individually in the USA to buy the Eid-stamp. Or not. I am not telling you either way. I fully understand that feelings run so deep, after 9/11, that many may never be able to tolerate anything remotely resembling Islam. I respect that.

6 comments:

  1. I received this and sent it on,and I understand fully what you are saying but it IS a bitter pill to swallow.
    connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually going to write about this in my next news briefing...check out what I learned at snopes...

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/eidstamp.asp

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on your entry. Nicely put!
    Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, and therein lies the shame of it, the waste.  Those who refuse to part with their hatred for the whole of a religion because of the acts of fanatics who called themselves by that faith, are only repeating what caused 9/11 etc in the first place:  hate.  We have to find compassion somewhere in our hearts, however it hurts at first.  A good beginning would be to buy those stamps and learn more about the true beauty of Islam.  CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great entry ...Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear Guido
    very interesting comments
    hugs,natalie

    ReplyDelete