Thursday 31 May 2007

Hurricane season 2007

The latest forecast for the Atlantic hurricane season 2007, which commences tomorrow, has been published. It is not good news, I'm afraid. I copy from Dr Jeff Masters' Wunderblog:

The Gray/Klotzbach team is calling for 17 named storms, 9 hurricanes, and 5 intense hurricanes--unchanged from their April forecast. An average season has 10-11 named storms, 6 hurricanes, and 2 intense hurricanes. The forecast calls for a much above normal chance of a major hurricane hitting the U.S., both along the East Coast (50% chance, 31% chance is normal) and the Gulf Coast (49% chance, 30% chance is average). The Caribbean is also forecast to have an above normal risk of a major hurricane.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I've been hearing nothing else on the news.  Thanks for the link, I'm going to read it now.  This is hurricane season afterall but geez, what they're predicting IS scary, esp for me in the northeast corridor here.  Makes my problems w/this new pix format seem petty.  Hope you're well and happy.  xoxo  CATHY
    http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK

    ReplyDelete