Friday 18 May 2007

Friday evening

Very wild day here in the islands. Sun has just set, but the wind is as strong as it has been all day. Barometer is taking a nosedive, now down to 979 mbar, which is quite low. The low pressure system responsible is just scooting up the Atlantic to the west of here. Have been predicting this for several days, and in a way it's rewarding to see your forecast come true. With thanks to the Met Office for the weathermaps, from which I glean my info.

Went out for a walk during a clearance between 8.15 and 8.30. Waves came crashing into the seawall by the Coastguard Station, the blocky building that I use as a reference point in many of my weather pics. The plume of spray of one wave came right over me, so everything now tasts of salt. It is also a high tide, with the predicted level of 4.8 metres / 16 feet, which is fairly high. It's the springtide again.



Which leads me on to a reminder for an astronomical event which takes place tomorrow night after sunset. The further south you are, the lower the moon will be in the sky. You'll see the moon in the west, a narrow sickle. To one side, you'll see a very bright star - which is actually the planet Venus. If the weather allows, you can also see a vague blue-ish reflection on the dark side of the moon - which is light, reflected off Earth.

8 comments:

  1. I still have to get used to this new way of viewing your pictures. I don't like it as well at all. I like to see the whole picture. Not part of it at a time.  
    I'll keep my eye open for the blue moon tomorrow night. Thanks for telling us.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like Pam, I do not like the new way of viewing pictures. Those waves were really wild on that video. It has been really windy here today also. Been cold a lot of today. Of course the wind was not as strong here as there. But then I don't live on the water to see the effects either. Thanks for sharing. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sliding show is very effective for water pictures, as if the water is moving and then play the video and I can watch the pictures and hear the surf, lol....
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the slideshow.  It really enhances your pictures, which are beautiful to begin with!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY BEATIFUL FOOTAGE, THE WAVES ARE VERY NICE, BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL DEANNA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your photos and video...thanks for sharing...
    Take care...
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pics make it almost real and as if your going along with the water!
    bella xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. C'est un super film Guido! Beautiful! amaising, it's like we are flying above it!
    Valerie
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/iiimagicxx/surreality/

    ReplyDelete