Sunday 13 May 2007

Monday 07/05/07

This Bank Holiday Monday, we made a trip to the Isle of Bute, which is situated in the Clyde, 30 miles west of Glasgow. The inward journey, to the ferry port of Wemyss Bay on the mainland, was made by car. We returned by train. The weather was not very good, only a brief spell of sunshine in the afternoon after some heavy rain at lunchtime.

Scenery nice, as you can see on the pics, but nothing too spectacular. The Isle of Arran, which rears up in the background of some photographs, is a lot more imposing. The Royal Burgh of Rothesay [pronounce ignoring the middle E] is one of those places hankering back to its former glory. In Edwardian times it was the destination for a "trip doon the watter", to use Glaswegian parlance, which was all the holiday many people could afford in those days. Rothesay had a tram, which was discontinued many decades ago. Bute has got royal and blue-blooded connections (it is home to the Marquess of Bute). It's nice. That's all.

4 comments:

  1. I had a good friend from the Isle of Bute that I lost contact with a few years back. Since that time this is the first mention of the place that I have encountered. I enjoyed your photos.
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this,    I  thought it was pronounced Rossy ,I was going to say ,that you would take a trip ''doon the watter'' but you beat me to it ,you showed a picture of the Waverley,earlier this week ...love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guido, I love your photos.  I think the scenery is beautiful. Look at the dark forest behind the standing rocks. It's soooo dark and spooky looking!  Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing them.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I was with you... the pics are just marvelous!

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete