Friday 20 October 2006

Another day over, another day done

That's me up to date with alerts; I'm trying to wind my way through the 70-strong list of nominees, if I don't leave a note in your journal, please don't be offended. My eyes are now square and I have to pack in for the evening. Tomorrow's another day. Looking back, on October 20th, 2004, I was in the Isle of Skye, marvelling at the first fall of snow of that winter. It was a crisp, cold but brilliantly sunny day. Went walking through the Skye Cuillins, which is a mountainrange that rises 1,000 metres (3,300 ft) from sealevel. A track threads through a valley, which divides the Red Cuillin (to the east) from the Black Cuillin. If you want to know what the area looks like, have a peep on this page. Googling "cuillins skye" or "glen sligachan" will yield more results. Although I did take pictures at the time, I don't have them available here.

The origin of the name "Cuillins" is shrouded in mist and mystery. The Hound of Cuchulainn, a 6th century figure, is said to be howling in the mountains, although the scientific explanation is an effect of the wind. St Columba is said to have banished that fiendish beast. If you can get hold of a copy of "Columba" by the excellent historic writer Nigel Tranter, you'll find the story included. It is a gripping read at any rate.

Well, there I am, gabbling away at one tangent after another. Better press SAVE, and go to bed.

Night night

8 comments:

  1. Nitey Nite Guido. Sleep tight! {{{}}}
    Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a good nights sleep...nite nite..
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet dreams!
    Congrats. :)
    penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went over to the page you linked.  What a gorgeous area that is.  I hope to get there one day ( might get the chance in the not too distant future, but we shall wait and see =) ... )  Congrats are in order, I hear .... good for you !   Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is breathtaking! I love mountains...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photo gallery is quite impressive! It looks a great area for walking with my new pain free leg! Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there and thanks for stopping by my journal and leaving your link cause I wouldn't have wanted to miss yours.  Love this photo gallery you linked us to, really appreciate your journal and congratulations on being nominated.  I'll be back soon to get caught up on your journal.  

    Marlene- A Poets Point Of View
    http://journals.aol.co/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry  

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice little tangent.  I enjoyed it.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete