Saturday 21 October 2006

National Geographic


Occasionally, I buy a copy of the National Geographic magazine, but it left me thoroughly depressed this month. I am aware of the threats to the environment, and am actually glad that people in the US are waking up to that problem. The focus was particularly on National Parks (worldwide), which are being eroded by all sorts of man-made activity. Rather than just flagging up the problem, NG could do worse than mount a campaign to save whatever we have left of the natural world.


One NG member of staff had his blood tested for all sorts of chemicals that were released into the environment over the last 50 years or so. It cost $15,000 to be tested for things that were present in parts per trillion (1 in every million million or 10 to the power of 12). Again, what's the use of flagging up a problem, when you're not actively advocating to do something about it? I agree that some nasties, such as DDT, were outlawed decades ago and they still float around, and probably will continue to do so until the end of time. But other things continue to be produced, and I never heard a peep from NG to stop doing so.

Enough moaning. I like the NG magazine for its stunning photography, and will continue to purchase it on and off. No, I'm not promoting anything. Make up your own mind.

Tag: "national geographic" environment pollution

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your Nominations in the VIVI Journal Awards. I find your journal to be very interesting and well worth reading.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I haven't read NG in years!  They always had something interesting in there.  
    Congrats on your nomination, Guido.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello.....There have been some National Geographic magazines at my work and yes I actually read them. There was one story in one of them where a guy gets up close and personal with a sperm whale and it was a very good piece of writing. The guy in the story does work for National Geographic. The guy's name is Boyd Matson. I am glad you shared this entry. I wouldn't mind if you shared more entries about National Geographic. Do keep writing !!!!!!!! I learn a lot from your journal. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many congratulations on your nominations Guido.  Wishing you the best of luck.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for dropping by my journal :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your nonimation, good luck in the final vote.  My Dad read National Geographic since I was really young, I remember flicking through it`s colourful pages before I could even read.  

    Sandra xx

    htttp://journals.aol.com/labdancer51/SandrasScribbles/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanx a million for your kind words in my journal.They are much appreciated.Congratulations to yourself.I'll be back to read more of your journal.
    Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my journal and offering your congrats on my nomination. Makes me feel tiny in comparison to all your nominations! Way to go yourself!

    I noticed from your other journals list that we read some of the same journals, so i'm sure i'm going to enjoy reading yours.

    To be honest, i think i've only ever purchased one copy of National Geographic and that was forever ago. Something about Globalisation caught my eye and it came in handy for an essay I had to write.

    I'm not too much of an environmental junkie, i do all the typical stuff like recycling, but I don't think i'd actively be concerned about what state the planet is in when I pass it on to my grandchildren. that sounds great huh!? hey, i'm almost sounding like an American, all I need is my gas guzzling car. I'm sure once you read my journal more you'll come to find that I'm an AW (American Wannabe).

    Hope you're enjoying your weekend. I'll add your journal to my list!

    Shermeen xx
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/shermeen0621/PublicThoughts/

    ReplyDelete