Thursday 26 October 2006

Gale

Today we have the first gale of the season. It's a northerly, and no surprise that the temperature has dropped right down to 7 degrees C / 45 F. Windspeeds are at about 35 knots (40 mph), gusting to 50 knots (56 mph). The ferry is cancelled on the route to Ullapool, although the ferry from Harris to Skye is still running. Can't be a nice crossing at any rate.

The mainland hasn't so much got problems with the wind as with the rain. Flooding at Dingwall, northwest of Inverness, has left water up to 4 feet deep in the town centre. More info and pictures on this BBC News webpage. It is apparently the worst flooding there in more than 50 years.

2 comments:

  1. wow I'm sorry to hear about the flood!Are people doing ok?
    love,nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read so much about bad weather since my son Dan was in the navy and reporting the ocean gales.  He was also susceptible to sea sickness so hated rough seas.  I used to get car sick, so I know he got that trait from me.  But I love stories about sailing the seven seas, explorer stories, any and all. I am just a traveler, especially now, by the written word.  Gerry

    ReplyDelete