Wednesday 25 October 2006

VisitScotland

Found a copy of Ambitions, a publication by VisitScotland, the tourism organisation for Scotland. Browsing through it, mrs B felt the best place for it to go was the bin. Now, I had to agree.

In it, the first 5-star guest accommodation in the island of Lewis is announced as opening in 2007. Incorrect. There is already a 5-star guesthouse at Melbost, 4 miles east of Stornoway. What made me raise my eyebrows was the fact that the proprietors were awarded £75,000 for building these premises by the local enterprise company. Lesser mortals who are prepared to upgrade their fewer-stars-establishments get nothing out of Western Isles Enterprise, as the market is supposed to be looking for the upper end of the scale. Not by my experience. There is a lack of affordable accommodation in Stornoway, judging by what gets turned away by mrs B in summertime. Oh well, perhaps there is a lack of expensive digs for the hoi-polloi, I don't know.

Tag: visitscotland

2 comments:

  1. hmm... I must find out what hoi-polloi means :D
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. pharmolo - I think you are wrong. Lewis has no 5 star guest houses or B&B's - check the Visit Scotland website........

    Generally as I see it, the islands need more and better tourist accommodation to continue to attract visitors who add to the local economy.

    ReplyDelete