Sunday 29 October 2006

Contribution and attribution

Mandy has written an entry about snagging, and not bothering to link back to the creator of the graphic. Although I'm as guilty as a cat with a mouse in its mouth, I would like to remind everybody (including myself) to attribute any graphic you snag from another journal to the original creator. Donna (Nightmaremom) has a policy of stating on the graphics whether or not they can be snagged.

If you decide to alter any graphic for your own use, particularly animations, seek advice from the creator. They can help you adapt the image for your use. I understand that it is quite frustrating to find a distorted, discoloured, dysfunctional graphic which used to be yours on someone else's journal.

On an even more serious note (again, physician heal thyself), if you snag images from an external website, attribute back to the page. I have recently taken to linking to the page for images, as copying them onto my blog could have consequences for breach of copyright. Photographers have a blanket no-copy policy, as their pictures are their livelihood. Check a website's privacy and copyright page, or contact them to seek permission.

3 comments:

  1. I do NOT use or take or snag any tags from J-Landers. I have my own providers and I don't care of the copyrights... it should not exist, it is the internet. People must care for themselves and make sure no-one can take away their tags if they want them not to be taken away, a bit like making sure you can lock the door of your house if you don't want anyone to take all your furniture away, otherwise the insurance companies, without any door that you can lock, would not even insure you. So, I am against all this thing about do not take because of pursuit of copyrights, tra la la, I say "make sure no one can take your creations and sleep well" :D
    The internet and internet lovers need to evolve obviously and realise that it does not work their threats... don't be scared... enjoy!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Mandy's entry, seems like someone has stolen graphics she made. I always ask if I can snag from people and I give a link to the tagger when they make me signature tags. I don't have a problem with people snagging my photos or graphics. I've put a note to that effect on my sidebar, a lot of people ask if they can use my photos as a start up screen which I take as a great compliment! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people assume that a person alters a graphic in some way to suit themselves. I myself have put graphics in photobucket and that program will distort a graphic at times but not all the time. I have quit using that program very much or when I do I make sure it doesn't distort the graphic before I leave it in my journal. If it does that then I remove it. I always link back to a grahic someone has made if I know who made it. I very seldom use graphics anymore for that reason. It takes a person a while to make a graphic and I don't like to see some program ruin it. Helen

    ReplyDelete