Tuesday 22 August 2006

Chats

As several of you will have noticed, I am doing the rounds, calling in at people's journals. I'm not doing this at random, I have taken the list of attendees (which I pared off the chatlog) and am now tracing journals and leaving comments. I may miss some, but beg your pardon for that.

Vivian has confirmed that I'm in charge of organising future chats. I've had feedback on my questions regarding this and it's going to be like this:

We have a regular chat every month on Sunday afternoon (US time) / evening (UK time). I am thinking along the lines of 8pm UK time, which is 3pm EST, 2pm CST, 1pm MST and 12noon PST. I appreciate that the afternoon hour is unusual, but please bear in mind that by the time evening strikes across the USA, we in the UK are normally tucked up in bed.

Last Sunday, I noticed that our American friends were hovering around the door just before 8pm EDT on Sunday, not wanting to intrude on the UK chat. Cut that nonsense. We are J-Land, we are ONE community, a community that transcends all borders. The Internet is supra-national, above nationality.

On the timezone question: if anyone is unsure about the time difference, please visit my Clock Page. This shows the current time in London and various areas of the USA. If you compare my time with yours, it's easy to work out how much you're ahead or behind.

Comments of course welcome.

Guido

10 comments:

  1. I hadn't even realized it was all the same place and definitely didn't know what time the UK chat would be or I would have been there for all of it! I love the idea of a regualr chat! I'd love to have one on Friday night! That's my "nothing but J Land time." Keep me posted if anything definite is decided! Thanks! Martha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your idea is wonderful!  We could all participate!  It was great fun the other night.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved you time zone clock! I put it on my tool bar. Keep us posted, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for calling for me! I think that is such a great idea! Linda xx
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindachapmanuk/metamorphing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guido
    It was great chatting with you the other night.  I would look forward to regualr monthly chats with this community.  I will have to be late each time because I work until 4:30 Eastern US Time on Sundays, but would rush home to join in, I promise.  Thanks for the time zone page you left a link to.  It kind of puts things into perspective time-wise.  Ditto on your thoughts about this being one community that transcends all borders!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Guido!!  Thanks for grabbing the horns and running with this.  Chat was a blast!  We are one neighborhood for sure!  Hugs to you  :::straightening your halo::
    d

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guido!

    I love the time zone page. I've saved it to my favorites. Thanks for the reminder that we're all one big neighborhood. We were afraid the chat room would only hold 25 people that's one of the reasons that some of us were hovering around the door...we didn't want our being there to keep anyone from your side of the pond from being able to get in.

    It would have been one big chat if the time difference wasn't so great...but it looks like we're going to not consider that an obstacle for the monthly chat. And that's a good thing. I look forward to this rolling out. Any idea when you'll schedule the first chat? Are you going to make it the 1st Sunday of every month, or the last Sunday of every month...or vary it?

    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  8. I TOTALLY agree....UK, USA, whatever, we should all chat as one, anytime!

    Great stuff!

    Stevie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good.  I will try to be available, as often as possible.  (And perhaps I'll even chat a little this time.)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. The day and time sounds good to me. Can't wait!

    Hugs, Angela

    ReplyDelete