Thursday 24 August 2006

Eight planets


So, it has been confirmed that the solar system now only consists of 8 classical planets and 4 dwarf planets. The eight classical ones are:

Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune


The dwarf ones are

Ceres [between Mars and Jupiter], the largest asteroid
Pluto [relegated from planet status]
Charon [twin-planet with Pluto]
2003UB13 [outside the orbit of Pluto]

The reason for this redefinition is that several new planet-like bodies are being discovered outside Neptune's orbit in a region in space called the Kuiper Belt. Without this realignment, we very soon could have had a solar system with fifty-odd planets.

1 comment:

  1. Wow..I really don't like how close it looks like we are to the sun in that pic!! lol!

    I had NO IDEA that Jupiter was THAT BIG! Tut, and I call myself a Star trek fan!! pfft!

    Lol,

    Thanks for visiting my blog bud....it was a nice surprise!!

    Stevie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete