Thursday 24 August 2006

Comments and Guestbooks

I have read in several journals that people are a bit miffed that they can't comment if they haven't got an AOL or AIM account. If that happens to you, there are two things you can do.

1 - Ask them to take out an AIM account (for free)
2 - Get yourself an on-line guestbook, and copy any comments into the journal yourself, with attribution obviously.

I do not plug commercial sites, but there are several good providers of guestbooks about.

Some advice:

1 - Before you allow comments onto the guestbook, make sure you activate moderation first. This allows you to weed out any spam, unwanted comments and the like.

2 - Also put on word verification, to make life difficult for automated spammers and what have you.

3 - Don't forget to put the HTML for the guestbook in the sidebar of your journal. You need to switch to HTML view (from Text), and Copy & Paste into the sidebar.

4 - Please remember Javascript is not allowed on AOL blogs, neither are iFrames (up to a point). Anything not allowed will be automatically de-activated.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!!! I have family and friend who are unable to comment.  Wish me luck setting up!!!
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, I will tell my daughter about it. :o)

    Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of friends who belong to Yahoo and they cannot comment but they use my guest book.  Never thought of copying their messages under comments though. I am just happy to have them in the gb

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome info!  Thanks for sharing
    d

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might like to see this entry of Joe's even though you're not private I think it should still work for public journals. Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/03/03/an-easy-way-to-let-people-without-screen-names-read-your-private-journal/1166

    ReplyDelete