Friday 18 August 2006

Use of computer


What do I use a computer for?


Back in 1982, I was introduced to an Apple II. Had to program the thing with a programming language called BASIC. If you did it wrong, you were presented with a massive helpfile, containing the immortal words:


Syntax error
Ok

But Ok it was up to a point. Then came a wordprocessor called Displaywrite 3.0. You had to load it from a 5" floppy disk, and floppy it was. If you wanted to see a carriage return (something the railways would prefer) or a line feed (something they do to you if you're very ill), using all sorts of wild and wonderful symbols, such as ╗.

The first userfriendly word processor was called WordPerfect 4.2, and it was an eye opener. You could actually CHANGE something you had typed, and using the helpfile I taught myself WP 4.2. I used the successor, WP 5.0, for years.

Then came an early precursor to Microsoft Office: Ability. Not a Microsoft product, but it was a package, containing a spreadsheet, word processor and more. Bit cumbersome, but it helped me to write various bits and pieces at university.

Not much changed since the 80s, I still use a word processor and a spreadsheet, with occasional databases. Forgot to mention good old dBase III, which was a laff a minute, e.g.  disp all .for. you=mad .and. i=sane.

The Internet came on the scene for me early in 2000, as I was doing research for an MSc thesis, which is currently gathering dust. And I never looked back. I primarily use the computer for emails, IMs and gathering info. If I look out of my window, I see the entrance to Stornoway Harbour. I can find out information on any ship that comes in within seconds. I can see the weather in Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, instantaneously. And two seconds later at Sasebo, Japan. Better than that, I can converse in real-time with people the world over.
Isn't the Internet MARVELLOUS!!!

Apart from that, I also keep my pictures on here, thanks to the advent of digital cameras and the like.

4 comments:

  1. I use mine for email, journals, and shopping.  My first computer was purchased in 1995 and boy did it open up my eyes!  The salesman said it would change my life. He was right!  It got me through nursing school, that's for sure!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember BASIC.  In '82 I was starting my Junior year of High School, and that's what we learned in our Data Processing class.  Doesn't really seem that long ago, thinking back.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. ggod entry ! what was the thesis about?
    nat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a trip down memory lane.  Enjoyed your company at the Gala.  Both sides of the Atlantic.  ;o)  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete