Saturday 31 March 2007

Contrast in weather

We are experiencing your average spring conditions in the UK. High pressure in the far north (i.e. HERE), giving us mild, sunny weather. The thermometer is at 11C / 52F now, and could reach the dizzy heights of 14C / 57F later on. Of course, the balance should be maintained and therefore the south of England is suffering with northeasterly winds, gusting to galeforce. It's not cold, according to the weatherreports, but it's not very nice.

Tropical cyclones continue to pop up, and the latest is called JAYA. It's located some 700 miles northeast of La Reunion in the Indian Ocean, and making for Madagascar, exactly the region which had a hammerblow from the previous hurricane, Indlala. Winds could exceed 125 mph once Jaya makes landfall in the north of the Big Island.

The first tropical cyclone of the Northern Hemisphere for 2007 is about to rear its ugly head in Micronesia in the next day or so. A warning to that effect went out from the Joint Typhoon Warning Center in Hawaii. These typhoons tend to end up in the Philippines or the east Asian coast. No definites about that just yet. Watch this space.

NOTE - The Atlantic hurricane season does not start until June 1st. Nonetheless, preparations should start now, and you could do worse than visit this site.

3 comments:

  1. Ah! That's why I got blown down the road while I was shopping! It's still very warm out though so I shan't complain! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

    ReplyDelete
  2. 57 F is "dizzy heights" there? My, you all like your cold weather. It's been upwards of 70 F here somedays already. And it looks like the hurricane season has decided to start early again this year then. Too bad...

    I know I haven't been around at all lately, and I apologize. I'm trying to make time for you guys, but it hasn't worked yet. And my alerts are still down :-( Take care.

    Morgan
    xx
    http://journals.aol.com/Sneezy7125/RandomThoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your comments in sybil's journal, and thought I'd look you up. Sounds like the weather in Kansas, USA. The saying here is: "If you don't like the weather, wait a half hour." We have constant wind, as there is nothing between the North Pole and the Gulf to stop it. When my son complained about being allergic to Kansas, I had to remonstrate, "No, no, dear, you're allergic to Oklahoma - that's where the wind is from today."
    ;^) Jan the Gryphon

    ReplyDelete