Wednesday 21 March 2007

Yiddish proverbs

With thanks to Rhonda

If the rich could hire other people to die for them, the Poor could make a wonderful living. ~~~ Yiddish Proverb
 
The wise man, even when he holds his tongue, says more than the fool when he speaks. ~~~ Yiddish Proverb
 
Ask about your neighbors, then buy the house.  ~~~   Yiddish proverb
 
What you don't see with your eyes, don't invent with your mouth. ~~~    Yiddish proverb
 
A hero is someone who can keep his mouth shut when he is right.  ~~~  Yiddish Proverb
 
One old friend is better than two new ones.  ~~~  Yiddish Proverb
 
One of life's greatest mysteries is how the boy who wasn't good enough to marry your daughter can be the father of the smartest grandchild in the world. ~~~ Jewish Proverb
 
Old friends, like old wines, don't lose their flavor.  ~~~ Jewish Proverb

A wise man hears one word and understands two.  ~~~ Yiddish Proverb
 
"Don't be so humble - you are not that great." ~~~ Golda Meir (1898-1978) to a visiting diplomat
 
Pessimism is a luxury that a Jew can never allow himself. ~~~ Golda Meir
 
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving ~~~ Albert Einstein
 
When his wife asked him to change clothes to meet the German Ambassador:   "If they want to see me, here I am. If they want to see my clothes, open my closet and show them my suits."  ~~~ Albert Einstein
 
Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them.  ~~~ Albert Einstein
 
The hardest thing in the world to understand is income tax. ~~~ Albert Einstein
 
You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. ~~~ Yiddish proverb
 
I don't want to become immortal through my work. I want to become immortal through not dying. ~~~ Woody Allen
 
I'm not afraid of dying ~~~ I just don't want to be there when it happens! ~~~ Woody Allen
 
Imagination is more important than knowledge.   (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
 
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. ~~~ Albert Einstein
 
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. ~~~ Albert Einstein
 
Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. ~~~ Albert Einstein
 
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ~~~ Albert Einstein

8 comments:

  1. my best friend who is male would love the 2nd proverb. He says more by saying nothing than by some loud mouth.
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite: "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

    Of course, being a homeschooler, I'm a little biased...  :)

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these, especially the Einstein quotes.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great....but I especially love the Yiddish ones.  Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this Guido!
    bella xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're great Guido and very true too! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did copy this to give to Doc now I have a printer.  Gerry

    ReplyDelete