Wednesday 21 March 2007

ShadowHebrides

Tourism organisation VisitScotland have set up a special body to deal with tourism in the Outer Hebrides, called VisitHebrides. If you look at VisitHebrides.com, you'll see WalkHebrides, RootsHebrides, etcetera. The above you will not find. It is a reference to the dark side of these islands. One example is the Eilean Glas lighthouse in Scalpay, 5 miles east of Tarbert in Harris. In the 1990s, it was advertised as a venue with a restaurant and all. From my own experience, I happen to know that you can only reach said lighthouse on foot, through some of the worst bogs you'll ever find in the Hebrides. There is no road - oh, of course you can take a boat. Anyway, I'll link to an account on VirtualHebrides and let you shiver.

2 comments:

  1. {{{oooh!}}}
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we could see into the future Guido.  Re; the Ford-Sagers.  I am always suspicious of double barrelled names.  In most, not all cases I know, they are a sign of pretentiousness.  That may have been a warning.  Very interesting read Guido  
    I will save these addresses for Bryan to read when he gets home.  Jeanie

    ReplyDelete