Tuesday 20 March 2007

Low tide exploration

Just wanted to share some images of my foray into the Newton Basin at low tide. This was at around 2pm. I also found our dinner there, in the shape of 8 rather large scallop clams. They are now clattering away in the kitchen. These creatures are given to snap their shells if disturbed. Later on, they're for the pot. I'm squeamish, so will leave it to mrs B to process them.

This afternoon, the tide was the lowest I've seen it over the past two years, and found it is NOT possible to cross over. The outflow of the Newton Basin is a wide, fast-flowing channel, with crumbling banks. Just as I stood a little way from the flow, the bank caved in. I was considering taking a run and a jump, but that would have been foolish. I found it mind boggling that in 6 hours from now, at 7.49pm, there will be 18 feet of water above the spot where I was just now.

The video is not very interesting, just showing the shells snapping about as they lie on top of each other on a tray. Ach, scallops are strange.


5 comments:

  1. Gosh  they were good photo's. also the wee video. Mary says poor wee souls to have to be eaten !!!  I told her they would be jolly good...Enjoy tonight. Still very cold down here but been nice and sunny most of the day.  sybilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got back home safely. It looked a bit too dodgy to leap across the channel Guido.  I'm with Mary...I don't think you should eat them.  Poor things!  Listen to them....they are alive and wanting to go home to the sea....!
    I went to catering college in Glasgow and we had to cook a live lobster.  Guess who couldn't do it?  I was feeding it seaweed.  I bet your glad you don't have to do the 'dirty deed'.   Lol!
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure they'll be good...but watching them move on the video did me in!! UGH!  Tell us what they tasted like, ok?
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be one of the very fewpeople don`t like scallops. I`m very suspicious of all shellfish and even more of shellfish that snap their shells together...lol!

    Love Sandra xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the pictures. I love scallops and clams!! And yes, I would have to agree it's easier to eat them if your not the one who has to cook them. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete