Saturday 30 September 2006

Bullying

I read on another blog that a show Ugly Betty is being screened in the States. I gather it ridicules an ugly or fat girl? Correct me if I'm wrong. I commented on the blog concerned, and will expand a bit in this entry.

I feel very strongly that bullying of any sort is not acceptable. In my neck of the woods, one teenage girl took her own life, after bullies made her life hell. Complaints to the school did not work, no or insufficient action was taken. In another incident here, a teenage girl was subjected to such severe bullying that her mother placed her in a school several hundred miles away. Again, the school did not take action, and was not prepared to cooperate in the parents' wishes to remedy the situation by placing the girl in a school 40 miles away.

Tolerance is something that is very important for people of all ages to observe. We are all different, we are all unique. If someone is perceived to be fat, ugly, red-haired, squint-eyed or whatever they stand liable to be abused. If the person concerned finds it impossible to stand up to the bullies, others should step in to address the situation.

Please do not forget that bullying does not stop when you become an adult. The BBC website has some useful information, check out this page. Bullying in the workplace, both physical and emotional, can have very serious consequences too.

10 comments:

  1. My youngest son was bullied at school. I didn't get anywhere talking to the teacher so I went to the bully's house. His parents were unaware of their son's behaviour and it soon stopped. My boss tries bullying tactics but they don't work.
    Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was bullied badly at school. I carry the scars to this day and that lays at the root of many of my fears and insecurities. However, in my youth bullying was not even acknowledged.  You were just expected to stand up for yourself.  It lead to a nervous breakdown later but that was after I had left school.  So I could not agree more.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really agree.....I started to watch the show, and I had to turn the channel because it was too much like watching me when I was a teenager! It actually made my stomach feel ill! And....bullying doesn't stop at all as adults! I "Still" have someone bullying me no matter what I do! It still hurts.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I read that entry ,and agree bullying cannot be tolerated ,.,.,Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing how bullying sometimes doesn't stop even in adulthood.  I find that so sad.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dealt with teasing and bullying to a certain extent when I was in elementary school, and we have tried to raise our kids to be sensitive to others' feelings.  Bullying can be a very bad problem, and as we saw yesterday with yet another school shooting can actually be a catalyst to outrageous acts, or at least be blamed for them.  As for the show, I think there is a little more to it than that.  I'm going to write more about the show in my own journal, so I'll save that for later.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank yuo Guido for this wonderful entry on how bad bullying is!
    I totally beleive you!
    I have heard of an incident in which a girl killed herslef because her soccer team made fun of her and said that she was worthless! they even said it where she coudl hear it!:(
    Guido I am very proud of you for taking this stand.you're right: we should not put up with it anymore.
    hugs,natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter was bullied by one particular girl at school ~ when they met up recently at a school reunion this girl said to my daughter 'what good friends they had been at school' my daughter put her right and told her what a complete bully she had been ~ and she didn't even remember being a bully ~ The schools shoud take heed and stamp out bullies they can cause untold damage to a child or Adult ~ Ally
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/ally123130585918/Lifewithally

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stamp out bullying whatever it takes, it`s so sad that even when someone takes their own life no action is taken to remedy it or to make life easier for whoever the bully moves onto next.
    bella
    x
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindapaterson177/IstartedofthislifewithnothingIst/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this entry Guido, bullying in any shape or form should not be tolerated.  I can`t believe that a TV show has been made that makes fun of someone.

    Sandra xxxx

    ReplyDelete