Thursday 21 September 2006

Pointer

I do not normally post on the Iraq war - it's an on-going saga, in my opinion a political cock-up of monumental proportions. However, several journalers have got friends or relatives on active service out there, and you don't let your boys down.

I have served a short while in the armed forces myself in 1991, and thought it was a lot of overhyped balderdash. Two things stood out in a positive sense. One: the unconditional comradeship between soldiers. Two: the absolute commitment. As a soldier, you have to do what you're ordered to do. If the daft politicians order you to go to war, you do so. Period.

Nonetheless, although I had to salute left-right-and-centre, I only once did it with conviction: at the funeral of a lady-colleague who had died of cancer. This lunchtime, I did so again in spirit on reading this entry about the wake and funeral service for a US soldier of Native American origin.

Read and see if you're not moved. With thanks to Lisa, seraphoflove9001, for sharing.

2 comments:

  1. Read that last night (early this a.m. lol) was very moved and grateful to Lisa for posting it.  So you were in the services, eh?  How can something which creates such strong bonds come about because of unreasonable hate?  But as you say, when you're called, you go.  I applaud your commitment and sacrafices.  xoxo CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that last night, and I agree; it was very touching.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete