Sunday 17 September 2006

Alcohol and teenagers

Natalie in her blog Interface has raised the vexed issue of teenage drinking. I have posted a pretty robust comment against teens consuming alcohol. I'll just summarise why I am opposed.

They end up hung-over at school the next day, not taking in what they're being taught
They get into trouble on the streets
They could even get a criminal record
In the long term, it affects their psychological and physical development
It leads to underage pregnancies (in Scotland, a girl got pregnant aged 11 after attending a party with heavy drinking)

I know that this makes me a prude, and I probably sound like a killjoy, which I am not. At the end of the day, most of us have a drink, in moderation (I assume), and will have started at some stage.

Methinks it's time the glorification of alcohol consumption got taken off our TV and cinema screens. Tobacco advertising has been reduced if not totally banned, so why can't the same be done to alcohol advertising? Too much money involved, I suppose.


11 comments:

  1. I could not agree more. Supermarkets should not be allowed to sell drink, it makes it all too easy to get it.  The legal age for drinking should be raised to 21 but then they would not be able to enforce it.  We had a car crash into our house once, the car was packed with nine teenagers, the oldest seventeen (he passed his test the same day) the youngest fourteen and they were completely stoned.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't drink and I'm very much opposed to alcohol being consumed by anybody. I can't stand being around people who have had too much to drink. It's a very potent poison and if it was introduced on the market now it'd never pass our food laws! I don't see why anyone would want to drink the stuff, give me a cup of tea any day! Lol! Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree wholeheartedly ~ buying alcohol has been made far to easy ~ they removed cigarettes from our tv screens so why not alcohol ~ Ally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point ,well made Guido ,I too agree with you and previos comments ,.,.,.,Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought for the minute I was reading Northern Tipple! Seriously though, I agree with everything you've said - and it's not just kids who have alcohol problems: I have 2 adult family members, who are currently wrecking their lives because of drink. It's heartbreaking to watch.
    Sylvia
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/Sylviam4000/YeOldeEnglishPosy/

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good point a lot of the teenagers in this area do drink on the streets on a friday night. one of the shops near us was selling drink to underagers and I reported it as they were selling vodka to kids as young as 14! linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately, in the US the richest untapped market for tobacco and alcohol companies is our teenage population.  They're targeted continually in overt, as well as subliminal ways and it's a real shame, lives get ruined.  But you can't tell most teens anything - they know it all, just like I did at 15.  "All things in moderation", some things not at all till you're older.  CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do agree with you Guido, children seem to be drinking at a much younger age these days.  I`ve seen 14 yr olds gain entry to clubs for over 18`s.  They won`t be drinking orange juice in there!  It`s sounds almost unbelievable that children turn up at school hungover, but of course it`s the sad truth and an indictment of society today. :o(

    Sandra xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not to mention, it's illegal.  I agree with you, and am very much opposed to underage drinking, even if it's in the teen's own home.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be happy they're not smoking crack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally agree with you. Teens have no business drinking.  Some adults don't either, for that matter!  
    Pam

    ReplyDelete