Sunday 29 April 2007

Earthquake!

Just wanted to relay my earthquake experiences, dating back to 1992. Said quake measured 5.2 on the Richter scale, and caused damage comparable to what was seen in Kent today. I was 60 miles away from the epicentre, on the European continent.

It was a moonlit night, and I awoke at 3 in the morning. There was not a sound. Not even the sound of traffic on the motorway, a mile and a half away. The moon shone into my window, and I half expected the cat to jump in through. It didn't. The whole scene felt wrong, somehow. Very wrong.

I dropped off, only to be awoken by the frightening sensation of my bed heaving back and forth in situ, and beams in the house creaking ferociously. This lasted for about half a minute. The electricity went off, but my wind-up clock showed the time: 3.22 am. Fortunately, my radio was battery-powered, and when I switched it on, mention was made of an apparent earthquake that had shaken areas in a 75 miles radius. Later that day, reports came in of collapsed chimneys and tiles off roofs. It was lucky that it happened in the middle of the night; the falling masonry could have caused injury. 

7 comments:

  1. It was very good that it happened at night.  Glad you were not hurt.  I've only experienced a quake once, and it was not too bad.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. quite scary I remember staying in North Wales in the early eighties a place called Rhiw near Cricceth we experienced a small tremor weird sensation, hopefully those in Kent will recover soon.
    Hugs

    Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a kind of rumbling in my apt. and I jumped up and told my daughter, "get the stilson wrench! I don't know what it is doing, but the sewer has backed up again! It sounds like a dragon in there. "  I grabbed the wrench and ran outside to take the cap off the sewer pipe and my daughter yelled, "Mom, mom. it's an earthquake!"  And so it was, only a tremor thank god, but my kids have laughed about that for years.  Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you were okay then and now!

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were living in California (in the Mojave Desert area) when they had the most recent big earthquake.  At the time, we had a waterbed.  I sat up and barked at the husband to quit his sloshing about and lay still.  and then my heart lept up in my throat and we ran down the hall to get the kids.  By the time we got to their door, it was over and the only thing that had fallen off the shelves were a few knick knacks.  We were lucky.

    The husband says he much prefers hurricanes to earthquakes because at least you can tell when a hurricane is coming.

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a small tremor here in the Lakes, it must have been the early seventies, I can't remember exactly.  However I do remember I was sensitive to the atmosphere that day.  Don't ask me how.  I just kept asking myself why the seagulls that normally ply the Lake for titbits off the tourists were all sitting quietly on the rooftops here in the village.  I was just aware, I couldn't put my finger on why; but we had an earthquake later on the following morning.  I always associate those prior feelings now to my natural ability, which most of us have forgotten to use, but animals still retain of pending danger at times like this.  Weird?  Hmmm?    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you didn't get hurt.  
    Pam

    ReplyDelete