Monday 30 April 2007

Monday notes

Another beautiful day on the Costa del Hebrides, where temperatures are soaring to a stifling 16C / 60F at the moment. Ferry came in 5 minutes ago, a wee bit on the late side, expected to carry one guest for tonight. Another will arrive by the end of the afternoon.

The five men, accused of planning a murderous bombing campaign across the UK in 2003 and 2004. This is NOT the 21 July 2005 alleged bomb plot. An extensive report is carried by the BBC.

Why do I read blogs? Well, there is a question. I have built up my network of journals through the usual method: commenting in other people's journals and leaving my own link. One of my remits is to highlight any journals where the writer needs some extra attention. In recent times, people have approached me directly with links, sometimes to journals that I had not heard of before. I read entries, but do not comment very regularly.

One aspect of J-land came into sharp focus yesterday - you only know about what the blog author tells you. Or what you have read in that particular blog from the moment your eye fell on it. These days, family relations can be convoluted, with marriage break-up being a 1 in 3 certainty. More often than not, children are involved, and more often than not a degree of animosity and acrimony creeps in, with bad feelings and hurt. A journal is public (if you make it public of course), by which I mean that everyone can read it. One glance at my Sitemeter shows me I have readers which I know nothing about. And Jeannette found out that her whole family is reading. She found it out in the most negative way possible. Other people have lost jobs through blogging.

Write what you want, however much or little, however frequent or infrequent. It's a free world. But be mindful who might be reading. It might be hostile eyes.

7 comments:

  1. That I will Guido...that I will....!   Bryan always points out to me that not everybody is as friendly as me.  He thinks I am naive in that department.  I would like to think I could treat all as I would want to be treat myself.  With courtesy, care and consideration.   But, as  Jeannette found out, there is animosity and jealousy surrounding us. And it is ever watchful for us to transgress in 'their' opinion.  How sad is that?   Life is meant to be lived happily and in unison with each other.  Some folks need lessons in that concept.  Some just don't know the meaning of humanity.   Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mornin' Doodle!

    Happy to hear ya'll aren't going to  freeze to death today! LOLL  I watched a disaster preparedness program on CNN last night (I have a Thing for Anderson Cooper) and I must say, I don't care too much for the state of the world these days.  

    ::sigh::

    B-O-M-B is indeed a 4-letter word.

    As for the ill effects of blogging, I am very careful to not write what I woudn't want my least favorite relative to read.  I do think that lurking (by family) for the purposes of using it against the blogger is just a piss-poor thing to do.  Grow a backbone and just CALL and ASk, if you want to know something!

    DANG.



    (OK, ok...mini-huff averted, for the time being.)  LOL

    You have a good day today...no sweating the small stuff.

    :)

    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean.  I am always mindful that what I say could be read by people I really may not want reading.  Sadly, even if private journals, you can't be too careful..

    A ferry for only one person?  Luxury!  :-P

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. In times like this.....I definitely weigh wether the good of what I can accomplish weighs more than the harm in someone being brutal. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have found that even with my journal being private I have censored myself.  That's sad when we have to do that.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do try to be mindful of who might be reading.  I write about things I come into contact with at work, but never about my workplace per se.  I never mention the name of the facility I work at and never any mention about my coworkers. I still fear retribution some day from some unknown quarter.  You never know who is out there and what reaction they may have to what you write.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete