Sunday 15 April 2007

Thursday 12/04/07

The chap from Northern Ireland had a nice time round Timsgarry yesterday. He left for home on the Tarbert to Uig (Skye) ferry. A second guest left on the 7.15 ferry. I rose rather later than that, but decided to make the most of the weather. After lunch, I took the 2.30 bus to Barvas. I alighted at Morven some 20 minutes later, but found myself floundering through bogs behind the gallery. Found 4 Iolaire graves at the cemetery. Decided not to run the gauntlet of a herd of suckling cows to the north of the graveyard, so made my way through the dunes to the south. Arrived at the cliffs on the coast at 4 pm. Had a cup of tea, which the strong winds blew out of the cup. The swell and surf were quite spectacular. A couple had driven up in their car. Walked down the coast into the strong wind – reported to be between force 5 and 8. Reached a stretch of sandy beach, before going inland at the firing range. Came to the end of Loch Street at 4.45. The waterlevel in the loch is very low at the moment. Found lambs along the way. Waited for the 5.25 bus at the junction, and chatted to a regular bus user until that time. Returned to town at 5.40. Tonight, 4 guests arrive on the ferry who will attend the PM Donald MacLeod Memorial competition in the Caberfeidh Hotel. Canvassing has started for the local and Scottish Parliamentary elections on May 3rd. In the evening, an anchor handling tug capsizes west of Shetland, leaving 5 crewmembers trapped in the upturned hull. A small Danish vessel is alongside at Arnish.

4 comments:

  1. I love these photos.My favourite is Morven Manse! I love unusual buildings- you don't see those in our country.Thanks for a great journal!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos Guido, I love the sea and your coastline is breathtaking.

    Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another lovely stroll by the surf and sand... I am so needing a visit to the coast..
    Have a great week!
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were some exceptionally good photos!  May I know what the "crofting code" (pic. 11) consists of?
    Lori

    ReplyDelete