Monday 23 April 2007

Monday notes

The flow of sewage into the Firth of Forth has been stopped, now that a replacement for the faulty pump at the sewage works near Edinburgh has been installed. Questions are still being asked about the handling of this emergency, and advice about water safety in the Firth remains in force.

On a related point, celebrity Sheryl Crow (whoever she may be) has urged us to cut back on the use of loopaper. She reckons that one square per restroom visit should suffice. Really? Oh bum.

It's a wet and windy day (again) in the islands, and I don't see much improvement in the offing. The Coastguard were kept busy early yesterday. At 2 am on Sunday, the helicopter had to fly across to Achiltibuie, north of Ullapool, to rescue a camper who had fallen over a cliff. Two emergency calls from ships, relayed through a satellite, proved to be false alarms. However, a walker in the Cuillins hills in Skye had to be rescued at 10 am.

The Police in Stornoway were also busy this weekend, with the usual procession of blackguards out on the prowl. A car was vandalised in the town centre, and attempts to steal another vehicle in a carpark on the edge of town proved fruitless. A collision on the road to the airport left two people in hospital.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like things will be okay, with a new pump working...
    Sounds like it was a busy weekend...sorry about the weather...ours, for a change is beautiful...can't complain...yet, LOL.  Take care!!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish i could get away with one sheet, even using  both sides :-)
    Jenny <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. one sheet?!  gyah....I use what I must.  Did she say anything about the excessive use of water for hand washing after this 'one sheet' BS?  yuck.  ;-)

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does she mean for us to USE one square or to cut our use by one square??  
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guido,
    One square per bathroom visit??? Has he gone off the deep end and is now a complete lunatic? LOL This is personal but I will say that I personally take it easy with the TP, but I can assure you it's more than one little square...hee hee.

    Take care and sorry that I've been so bad about comments. But I still love ya!

    Huggers,
    Gayla
    http://journals.aol.com/schoolgal040/Unfussy/

    PS: You sound like an orchid guy? I'm so afraid I'm going to kill it. I have read everything I can get my hands on about it and the first thing they say is do NOT over water in big bold letters and only every 2 weeks.............period. I will have to read more about cutting off the blooms after they are doine being beautiful. 'm so afraid to do that....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right, Sheryl ... and what we save in paper we will more than lose in soap and LOTS of water.   Hey, Guido !  Long time, no visit, so I figured I had better get on over here and say howdy.  So .... HOWDY !!   Tina

    ReplyDelete