Tuesday 17 April 2007

Tolkien - new book published

The Tolkien Estate have released a new book, called "The Children of Hurin", compiled from original notes by J.R.R. Tolkien by his son Christopher. J.R.R. Tolkien, who died in 1973, is most famous for "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings". The latter work was put into three movies between 2000 and 2002.

An interview with Adam Tolkien, including excerpts with a 1968 interview with Tolkien and a shorter interview with Alan Lee, the illustrator, can be viewed on the BBC website.

I am a very long-standing reader of Tolkien's works, to which I was introduced at age 11 in primary school. The teacher read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to us in class. I always found the succeeding work, The Silmarillion, and about 11 other works singularly difficult to digest.

The above graphic comes from the Tolkien-website.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

3 comments:

  1. dear Guido....
    (clears throats..) ahem!
    ummmmm... you Guido! you read the lord of the Rings and eleven more?!!!!! huhu?!!!
    :):)
    love,nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son managed to read the Lord of The Rings after I began to read him the Hobbit when he was  young like you Guido.  I could never keep up with all the names and actions but the Hobbit came so alive in his mind he was greedy for more stories of the same ilk.  I had the same problem with War and Peace.  I tried changing the names to make them more familiar in that tome as they were difficult to remember, so sadly I gave up.  Mind I was a young mother then with little time to read...so maybe things would be different now.
    I shall save this address and look at it when I have more time.   Thanks Guido.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of Tolkein, and am interested in how this posthumous publication will turn out.  (I like the Silmarillion, but it took a couple of readings to really get to where I enjoyed it.)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete