Saturday 14 April 2007

Visit to Dalmore

My trawl of the island's cemeteries continues, with a visit to Dalmore this lunchtime. On leaving Stornoway, it was very hazy but sunny and feeling warm - out of the wind. The mercury had risen to 14C / 57F by midday. As we drove down the A858 towards Carloway, grey clouds reared up out of the Atlantic, and by the time we reached Dalmore, about 3 miles east of Carloway, spits and spots of drizzle fell.

Dalmore is famous for its beach. It is UNSAFE to swim there, but three people were going down the beach for surfing. There was a good swell going. I also noticed some children in the water - skinny dipping, although that was difficult to ascertain from a distance.

In the cemetery, I managed to locate 8 graves of Iolaire victims. This leaves me with the Ness cemetery, which I'll probably visit in the course of next week, depending on weather and transport.

4 comments:

  1. The beach looks absolutely beautiful but I should imagine that the currents are quite strong.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the beach fenced off that must tell people something...yes?   I would panic if they were my children...not because they were skinny dipping but because the beach was dangerous.  
    Lovely photos all the same Guido.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the stroll along the beach....
    and I like visiting cememteries...
    Have a good day!
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your journal with me and I hope that the visits are most informative for you.

    John.

    ReplyDelete