Monday 26 November 2007

Monday notes

Quiet morning in the islands, with mainly overcast conditions and some wind.

Was pleased that everybody survived the sinking of MS Explorer, but it must be a disconcerting thought that the contents of your suitcase lie at the bottom of the Antarctic Ocean until the end of time.

Riots are once more blighting the 'banlieues' (suburbs) of Paris, following an incident where two youths on a motorbike collided with a police car. Back in 2005, days of rioting resulted from a similar incident. The then interior minister (now president) Nicolas Sarkozy branded the youths responsible as 'scum'. There are serious problems underlying the riots, because the perpetrators, black and muslim youths, feel excluded from the rest of society. Calling them scum is a fantastic way of pouring oil on the flames, and I hope Mr Sarkozy will confront the problems in his backyard, rather than pull up a smokescreen and calling names.

I am very pleased that the Australian prime minister elect, Kevin Rudd, has announced his intention to apologise to the indigenous people of his country, referred to as Aboriginals. Between 1915 and 1969, Australia adopted a policy of forced integration, where Aboriginal children were fostered with white parents. They are referred to as the Stolen Generation. I think it is more than time that the Australian administration apologised to their indigenous people, for destroying their culture, way of life and health. For plying them with booze and discrimination.
The flag? It's the Australian Aboriginal flag.

7 comments:

  1. I saw the story about the riots on CNN this morning ~ I am wondering why the people are so up in arms if they boys on the motorbike collided with the police car.  To me it sounds like it was their fault, although they did mention they will be investigating.  I guess we'll know more as it unfolds.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had the weather been worse, the Explorer outcome could have been very different.  I am sure the survivors are not worried about their suitcases.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always learn something from you...everyday....June:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That water is so cold, I don't imagine there will ever be a salvage operation.  And things like camera's would be ruined from the salt water anyway.  I have friends that live in Adelaide, SA and that has been a real problem there.  Hopefully with new leadership it will be corrected.  Linda in WA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I to am glad to read that Kevin Rudd is going to apologise to the indigenous people of Autralia,  when I was there I could not help but compare the difference between the Aboriginal people and the Moiri folks in New Zealand. The NZ Moiri people looked and spoke of being proud, the Aborigial (although I am sure many did ) appeared very much more reticent.  It is a sad episode in the Australian history.   Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEAH, that is great news re: aboriginals (always heard it as aboriginies (sp)).

    The EXPLORER was in full color, front page of The Washington Post the other day.  Quite a dramatic photo that had me grasped.  Very happy to hear that all survived.  Agree that the lost forever luggage could be more than a little disconcerting, but I suppose some will put it in perspective, and perhaps even ponder what aquatic creature, if any, will go rummaging through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Guido,

    I am a second generation Australian of European heritage. My parents arrived from eastern and central Europe, migrating for a better life in this wonderful country of Australia. Whilst not proud of the history of white-men's actions and racism against the native inhabitance The Aboriginals, I along with many Australians balk at saying sorry. Saying sorry brings around political, social and law induced repercussions.
    Personally whilst I am abhorred of how the Aboriginals were marginalised and slaughtered, it was done many generations ago. I don't feel like I am responsible for the actions of a previous generation. Aboriginals are the first Australians and should be given all concessions (as they are being given). But apologising for the past will result in compensation claims in court that will bring about a social polarisation.
    I again must state, I am not proud of my nation's history of action against the Aboriginals. But I do not feel that I must feel guilty of a past that I had no partake in.
    That is just my view.
    Cheers,
    Petar

    ReplyDelete