Thursday 15 November 2007

Tasers

I dislike this subject, but feel I need to formulate an opinion.

Tasers are used by police and other security services for temporarily disabling people who are behaving in a violent or disorderly manner or resisting arrest. They work by having two electrodes fired into the subject and a 50 kilovolt discharge of electricity passed through the prongs. This is very painful, provokes a temporary loss of muscle conrol and makes it possible for police to restrain the person concerned. The devices have been hailed as a non-lethal restraining aid, alongside the truncheon and teargas.

Tasers are not without danger; in Canada, 18 people have died after the devices were used against them. High electrical voltages disrupt the body's electrical currents, which are essential for it to function. Nerves and muscles work by virtue of electricity. A severe electrical jolt could disrupt the function of the heart and cause death.

A Polish man, who spoke no English, became agitated at Vancouver International Airport. He had come to visit his mother, but she could not see him, as the arrivals area at Vancouver is screened off. She had left after 6 hours, and he panicked. The gentleman threw furniture around in a waiting area, police arrived and tasered him twice. He became very still, and an ambulance team found that he had died.

This is a tragic case, which is subject to a formal investigation. I can therefore not comment on the specifics. I appreciate that situations can arise where a measure of violence may be required to bring someone under control. We often see on TV people behaving disorderly as a result of alcohol consumption. My personal opinion is so severely slanted against violence of any sort that it is not possible for me to make a balanced judgement on the matter.

8 comments:

  1. Gudeo, I really feel that Tasers are not entirely safe. surely the police have enough powers to detain all but the very worst cases...I know that people are often completely out of control but still think that this is one step to far...sorry..if this is not accepted by the majority...Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not particulary happy with armed Police, but it seems that is a neccesary evil, and I think sometimes officers can be over zealous with these tools at their disposal, however rising violence especially when drink and substance related can make it hard to control people. What are the alternatives


    Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally believe that they contain too high of voltage, and don't believe that tasers should used quite as often if death is a true possible result.  It'd mess me up, I know that (not that I"m beligerent or whathaveyou).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not entirely happy about Tasers.  I feel the police have enough restraining aids such as sprays and dogs, truncheons and each other without the need for these stun guns being used on violent drunks.
    I feel also that publicans should become more responsible for turning drunks out onto the streets and should be more vigilant about those who are drinking to excess.
    If they were to be fined or loose their licence for serving too much to their patrons they would certainly take notice of those who drink to excess.  Many places can't get enough alcohol down young peoples throats these days all in the name of profit.  If they had to pay for the streets to be cleaned up afterwards of the blood and other bodily fluids these violent and inbriated drunks throw up or wee out they would take stock.  
    They get away with too much nowadays and should take some of the blame for the police having to bear the brunt of it all.
    Nope!  NO Tasers!  
    Just large fines to the Publicans as well as the drunks.  And cut the 24 hour drinking laws.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like them at all! In my opinion, they seem to be too high in voltage! It's inhumane!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having been involved with people whose lives are in danger by the nature of their job, I advocate them. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you. What about people who have epilepsy, these tasers could surely bring on an epileptic fit as fits are brought on by electrical disfunction in the brain. My daughter died during an epileptic fit so it's something I feel strongly about. Maybe, as someone commented, the proportion of people killed by them is small but any deaths are too many in my book. Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a tough call. On one hand, if a person is out of control, I would much rather a taser be pulled on them then a gun. But, with all things forceful, there is that risk of injury, or death. The hard part is, if a person is acting violently, the only plausible act of stoping it is more violence. A no win situation and I feel for the people responsible, police, of making the choice of how to stop someone in the act...............tough call.
    Rebecca Anne

    ReplyDelete