Monday 12 November 2007

Veterans Day

Warning: long entry.

Yesterday, America held Veterans Day. A day that appears to sit very uneasily with many over in the States. Cathy wrote a powerful entry at the close of Veterans Day, which actually prompted me to write this post. Many in J-land made a tribute entry yesterday, and I did so myself. Although I'm not native to Lewis, I have discerned from a distance the deep and abiding pain that the loss of hundreds in two World Wars has produced. In 1940, the Hebrides were referred to as the Isles of Sorrow.

In the 1960s, geopolitics demanded that Uncle Sam go to war in Vietnam. It was a deeply controversial war, and those that managed to wheedle their way out of service in Nam were held to be heroes. Those that did serve, came away scarred in body or mind. Only to find, on return home, that there was no moral support. The troops were scorned, and the same appears to be happening now, with US forces entangled in the quagmire of Iraq, and trying to pacify Afghanistan - something that is forever doomed to failure. The Soviet Union tried it in the 80s, and failed. The British were forever battling the  tribes on the Northwest Frontier [the Pakistan / Afghan border] before 1947.

UK troops are deployed in the same 'theatres of war' as the Americans. The decision to go to war in Iraq was not widely supported, and is likely to be Tony Blair's legacy. Not the one he wanted though. The difference with the United States is that although the war is unpopular, the troops are still supported at home. "They're our boys", is the motto.

If I may, I'd like to theorise a little why the Americans don't support their forces. Iraq and Afghanistan are distant dustbowls that (with all respect) many will have difficulty locating on a map of the world. Many people also do not know let alone understand why their menfolk have to go and fight.

But worst of all, the legacy of Vietnam was a steady stream of bodybags. Which, to my mind, acts as a bodyblow to the American psyche. The pioneer spirit of the 19th century lent them a sense of invincibility - they conquered an entire continent for themselves, vanquished the Red Indians and pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. From rags to riches is many an American's tale. Vietnam and Iraq serve(d) to blow that image to smithereens. They're not invincible. Those that come back from their tour of duty are held to have failed America.

I have always held America in high regard, although a couple of things have moderated that view. Hurricane Katrina showed the vulnerability of America - by  not taking care of its most vulnerable citizens. This does not just apply to the poor people of New Orleans. Through these journals, I have learned that the same applies to those who have little money. I am appalled at the American health care system, which places a higher priority on the money than on the actual health of the patient. That is downright unethical and in contravention of the Hippocratic oath that all doctors have to swear by before they're qualified to practice.

Veterans Day is not an easy day for America. I hope it will learn to embrace all that it sends out to fight, however bad the decision was to send them out in the first place.

12 comments:

  1. Thankyou for this entry Guido ,you are so wise, I have learned some thing new ,and considered many aspects of this situation ,thought prowoking ...love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my corner of America is a little sheltered and backward, but I have not heard one single person here disparage the troops.  Returning soldiers, dead or alive, are honored and welcomed here.  Maybe because Texas has the 3rd highest number of veterans of all the states.  Maybe because we are more old fashioned.  I do not think overall the troops now face anything near the obstacle those in the Vietnam era did.  And I pray they never will.  

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. A thought provoking entry, thanks for sharing your point of view.

    Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guido,
    Your entry is filled with valid points.  I never get into politics or religion in any journal, including my own.  Having said that, I will forever stand up and support our troops (past, present & future) regardless of what I think of the politics of war.  Hurricane Katrina was a black eye for the US.  Many of us were horrified over the events and still are as little progress has been made.  I am heading over to read Cathy's entry.  Nicely stated Guido.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. good entry.... I don't like the war, but will always support our troops!!

    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Guido.  Your points are right on!  Living where I do, 1-1/2 mile from and McChord Air Force Base runway, and a mile or so past that we find Fort Lewis (Army) and 30 miles northwest is the town of Bremerton and it's Naval Ship Yard.  I am literally surrounded by military personnel.  I went to school with kids whose dad's were in the military and  worked with them all my 46 years of working.  I hold all of them, in the highest regard.  They basically have a thankless job.  It breaks my heart when I see people picketing against them or hearing them being verbally bashed.  I guess those people don't realize that the freedom they have to do such despicable things was brought about by those who fought and in many cases gave their lives in previous wars.  God bless each and every woman and man serving in the militaries of free countries everywhere. Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said dear one! America seems to have changed it's colors over the past few years......yet I believe through it all we still keep hope alive. Isn't that what formed this great country in the beginning, the diversity, the melting pot, hope? With hope comes the other emotions, sorrow, pain. If we learn nothing else as Americans, as human beings. May it be that despite anything else we fight or lose in our wars, one thing will always remain for us all, HOPE. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having lived through the Vietnam Era and bodybags and now Iraq and bodies coming back which would have been in bodybags but aren't because of the armor protection, I have mixed emotions.  I support those who support our country.  I have to agree with you on the Katrina issue, and, of course, you know my rant on the atrocious health care in this country. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well said.  I think the one big difference between Nam and Iraq is the way the troops are treated when they come home.  I know there are some who may treat the Iraq War veterans as many did the Viet Nam War veterans, but I think the majority of Americans treat the returning soldiers well, even while condemning the politics that sent them overseas.  At least, that's what I see.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Korean "Conflict" didn't do a lot for our self-image, either, from what I gather (I wasn't around quite yet!).  May all of those in the war "arenas" right now, make it safely and soundly home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good entry Guido with lots of truth in there. As you know, I was in New Orleans in April and I heard a lot of horror stories from the people who lived through Katrina. A lot are still living in Fema trailers and are struggling to get by. We must always support our troops even though we don't agree with the reasons they're at war. Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kind of agree with some of your sentiment Guido but with all due respect, I don't completely agree... a lot of the negative pictures of the war we get are from a media who were at that age during Vietnam where they were college kids against the war. I have family and friends serving over there right now and what they are telling me what's going on there right now is not at all comparabe to what is being reported by many in the news. Most and I do mean the MAJORITY of us that are yanks do support our troops. But the elitist media have taken sides and are not going to put the war in a positive light. They will jump all over a story of soldier who does something bad and report the heck out of it. But when we do great things, not a word is said... As for our health system, absolutely it has some really big problems... but I will still take it over any other health system in the world. I can appreciate the sentiment that all people should be able to go see a doctor. Here in the US, the opportunity is greater than anywhere else. That's why there are people in other countries who would and do anything to come here... Veterans Day isn't what it used to be. But it still means a lot to us here in the States... But again, I do appreciate and respect your point of view Guido.

    ReplyDelete