Friday 16 November 2007

Visit to Sandwick Cemetery

During my time in Lewis I have spent quite a few afternoons browsing the local cemeteries, including the one at Sandwick. It lies just 20 minutes' walk from here. I was looking for war graves from the First World War. Last year, as well as this spring, I trawled the island's churchyards for gravestones of victims of the Iolaire Disaster. I would now like to add other tombstones to the collection.

The first thing that I noticed from the 14 stones I photographed this afternoon was that I didn't recognise about half the names. I am familiar with the 1,150 names of people that died during hostilities in World War I, but other names turned up at Sandwick. These were presumably men who died when their ship went down, and their remains ended up up ashore.

The afternoon was cold, with a strengthening wind. Sandwick lies quite exposed, open to the wind. The sun shone between the clouds, offering opportunities for some great pictures of cloudscapes and shadows.

The last picture is our current petrol price: £1.11 per litre. This equates to $10.40 per gallon.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures!!!!! Well, except that last one........10 dollars a gallon? Thats outrageous~ I hearby swear I will not cuss at the pump today at our 3.20 per gallon. Nope, I'm not uttering a damn word..............
    Rebecca Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have captured some beautiful pictures ~ What an eye. I wish we had interesting things such as these. close by. But as you had mentioned your price of gas this would be the reason our traveling has slow. Enjoyed your reads. Take care and have a wonderful weekend. Thank you for your visits.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photos. Hope you have a great weekend...
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a sign of the times Guido.  It's daylight robbery!  I suppose folks on Stornoway will have the added 'whack' to pay for the fuel being ferried to the island?
    I paid £1.09 at a petrol pump, prior to driving on to Skye earlier this year.  Bryan muttered a few chosen words for me stopping at this 'Highwayman's Staging Post'.   Lol!
    Strange that these names should turn up today at Sandwick cemetery.

    It looks like we are in for some rain tomorrow...och well!  The sun is still shing above the clouds.  Take care.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos as usual. I love walking through cemetaries. OMG I can't believe the price of your petrol over there. Las I saw was about $3.30 USD a gallon. What is the world coming to?
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sky and cememtary shots....
    and I guess I shouldn't cry about our 3.45 gas prices....
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gas is so much higher by the gallon that I feel guilty complaining about ours, and yet it really is so high here that it cuts into my budget enormously.  Could it be that we have to do more driving here than the average person does in the UK?  Curious.  Ours was $3.15/gal. a week ago, and is $2.86/gal. now, on average.  But within the next two weeks we are expecting it to rise by twenty cents or more.  Last week it took me and Andrew about $50.00 worth of gas to do our weekly traveling, and it costs Thomas about $30.00 for the week.  His job is so close to us that he can usually get by on almost half that.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete