Friday 30 November 2007

Walk in the Castle Grounds

Yesterday was quite a nice day, and I took the opportunity to make a 90 minute circular walk in the Castle Grounds at Stornoway. The Castle Grounds are a large park area surrounding Lews Castle, stretching for a mile or two. Yesterday's walk took me to the Water Wheel, which was restored 2 years ago and is currently in use as a hydro-scheme to generate electricity for streetlighting in the Grounds. My return trip took me across the Golf Course. It is fairly strenuous to play this course, because it is laid out over hills.

6 comments:

  1. That was the best walk yet!!
    I love castles!!
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pics Guido, a 90 minute walk not bad going

    Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos Guido! Our weather down here is awful, I'd love to go out for a walk but I'd be blown over in the gales we have! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tell you... that porters lodge looks like a fine house itself!  Great pics!  Thanks for sharing!  I just got done watching the Highlander with my eldest son!  I still love it!

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fantastic photos. The grounds are fanstastic. And the restored water wheel is so cool. Thanks once again for sharing these wonderful photos. I would love to see the castles. My son saw several when he was stationed in Germany.
    Have a good weekend. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great walk Guido.  The trees have all had there leaves shoogled of in the high winds you have been having by the look of things.
    There was one tree whose limbs were weird! The lodge and the monument appealed to me.
    What a good idea going 'green' by generating electricity via the Waterwheel.  
    I enjoyed that walk Guido.  Glad the weather kept nice for you to get out and about.
    We have had horrendous winds and rains here in the Lakes.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete