Friday 23 November 2007

Explorer - update


MS Explorer has been evacuated of all passengers and crew after it struck an iceberg at around 0500 GMT. The vessel is now listing at 45 degrees and expected to sink. All those on board were transferred to another tourist ship, the Nordnorge, which has transferred them to King George Island nearby.

It is a dramatic end to a £5,600 cruise for all the passengers. This sum does not include international flights. Explorer was an old lady of the sea, which has been plying polar waters for 38 years.

7 comments:

  1. At least everyone got off safely Guido.  How sad to watch a ship sink.   i read that it was caused by an iceberg.  At least the passengers will have something to talk about when they get home and somthing to recall in years to come.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's on our AOL welcome page this morning.  What a scary situation !  Glad I wasn't on that cruise.   Linda in cold & frosty Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to see a ship die Guido, have always felt like that about them, they somehow have a personality of their own.  As to your comment on my journal, I agree and I am glad that I never voted for this damned lot in the first place, I never liked Blair, I never trust him from day one with his false sincerity and sad to say Brown looks right now as if he is in over his head.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad they haven't found a way to get them righted and towed or hauled in for repairs,would seem logical to invent something to help in these situations.....
    had to be frighteneing for all on board..close call..

    ReplyDelete
  5. They just covered the story on our 6:30 nightly news, of course I missed most of it but managed to see some of it.  From the footage shown it appears there were icebergs everywhere.  
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad to see....June

    ReplyDelete
  7. This actually made our national news.  I am sorry to hear that it has now sunk to the bottom.  What a shame.  I'm glad everyone was rescued safely, though.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete