Sunday 21 January 2007

Alfred Wainwright

This month is the 100th anniversary of the birth of Alfred Wainwright in Blackburn, Lancashire. He is famous for writing a set of guidebooks on the Lakeland Fells, in which Wainwright himself drew very accurate pictures of the views at key points. He is also credited with the Coast-to-Coast Way, from St Bees Head, Cumbria, to Robin Hoods Bay, North Yorkshire, 199 miles long.

Alfred moved to Kendal in order to indulge his love of the hills of the Lake District, and has managed to convey his love to thousands of ramblers and long distance walkers. Wainwright died in 1991.

Further information on his work can be found on this website, from which I have also linked this portrait of AW.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful man ,look at his dear face.. full of character ,,love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary, Mr. Wainwright.  CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have been discussing and celebrating Alfred life in our local tv news as well as weekly paper. He was a wonderful artist and cartographer too.  I followed one of his walks up Coniston Old Man when I was younger but I found out I don't like heights whilst up on the high fells so have never ventured that high again. There was snow and winds on the tops and I freaked out and just froze for what seemed ages!  I then had to turn slowly round and retrace my steps back down over the steep ice covered slopes all by myself.  Never again! Well...I'm too old now for that sort of thing... I stick to the lower fells now. Excerpt from Wikepedia  below..
    In 1930, at the age of 23, Wainwright saved up enough money for a week's walking holiday in the Lake District with his cousin Eric Beardsall. They arrived in Windermere (where I live) and climbed the nearby hill Orrest Head, where Wainwright saw his first view of the Lakeland fells. This moment marked the start of what he would later describe as his love-affair with the Lake District.  Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks like he was a sweetheart of a guy,bet he had some tales to tell,while all were spellbound at his regale.

    ReplyDelete