Monday 15 January 2007

Titanic

Yesterday afternoon, I watched a TV program about British television personality Tony Robinson descending to the wreck of the Titanic. He did so in a submersible, along with marine archeologists and other scientists. Another guest, along for the ride, was the man who worked on the motion picture "Titanic" a number of years ago. The program showed footage, shot from within the wreck, from the rooms of some of the characters in the movie. A clock, its face obscured by growths, appeared to have stopped at 2.20. The telegraph room was shown, with the breaker switch for the Morse transmitter permanently fixed in the OFF position. The wheelhouse, shattered in the sinking of the ship, was only designated through the bronze steering mechanism.

Whilst I found the program interesting from a scientific point of view, I began to feel increasingly uneasy for other reasons. This year will see the 95th anniversary of the tragedy, in which 1,500 people lost their lives. The only sentiment I got was that I was looking into a grave. There was nothing glorious about it.

The wreck of the Titanic is likely to disintegrate into a deposit of rust at the bottom of the ocean floor, 2½ miles below the surface. It was suggested that this will happen within the next decade or so.

7 comments:

  1. I recently bought a book,written from her own manuscript by a survivor Violet Jessop   ,by  John Maxtone -Graham ,and signed by the latter  ...love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this some time ago Guido and I'm guilty of the same curiosity that most folks have of wondering what the big ship looks like now.  My conscience whilst watching it gave me an overwhelming guilt trip that I was ghoulishly looking at a mass grave. It was as though their ghosts were still there pricking away at my mind.  Maybe that's our humanity sitting there on our shoulders.  Good thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have liked to have seen that documentary, even though I usually end up sad whenever I read or watch anything about the Titanic.  I don't like movies about the tragedy.
    Lori
    http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs and Namaste Guido..Yes, I saw it also, and it touched me to see some of the things in the same spot they were before it went down..not touched for years and years. The dressing tables and the bottles still standing in place..eerie to say the least but it is a international gravesite, honored and lamented.  To see it all just made me think what a magnificent ship, how beautiful and how unfortunate for so many, yet honored and everything seen as is before it rusts forever away!
    It's history my dear friend...a most unfortunate part of their times but something that will never be forgotten. Yes Jan, a very good book if I do say so myself, now can you imagine being able to see footage of the past like that and know that it actually did occur! Reminds me of the small minded people who refuse to believe in the Holicost happening yet everything is laid out in front of the world?!
    Hugs from Doreen :))))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet it was interesting, but I have the same feelings you do...it is like looking at a grave underwater...sad.  Have a great Tuesday...hugs,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago I went to a display in Los Angeles of artifacts found on the Titanic. It included among it's treasures an actual piece of the ships hull.  Somehow, it was surreal and I felt it was a bit disrespectful to the deceased.  But, I am guilty of being curious and paid my money to see it.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is sad... and it is a grave.  I imagine you feel much as we feel when we look at the 'pit' of where the Twin Towers once were.  And, yet they are scurrying about building anew amonst the dust of the cremains....

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete