Friday 26 January 2007

Hurricane update - 26 January

The tropical cyclones I mentioned a day or so ago occurred in the southern hemisphere, near Tahiti, midway between New Zealand and South America. It is summer there. The last two, Zita and Arthur, briefly blew at hurricane force (60 to 65 knots), but have now dissipated as tropical systems. Sailors in the Southern Ocean will catch a whiff of both of them, but as the weather below latitudes 30 to 40 South is dreadful as a norm, that won't make much of an impact.

Am keeping an eye on two developing systems, one near Sri Lanka and one west of Diego Garcia. Not formal hurricanes (yet), but you never know what may happen.

I only mention hurricanes on here that threaten land. Summaries of tropical cyclone bulletins from around the world appear in my Tropical Cyclones blog.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the up-date and explanation. xoxo CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sybil my blogging friend, and fellow Scot, is on holiday in New Zealand at the moment.   I hope none of this bad weather hits New Zealand whilst she is there enjoying herself.  I'm looking forward to seeing some lovely sunny photos on her return. I've never before taken so much interest in the weather Guido...thank you for this info'.    Jeanie,,  You have a nice weekend too!

    ReplyDelete