Wednesday 17 January 2007

Ignorance

Kate has written an entry on the row surrounding Celebrity Big Brother. This show, currently running on (UK) Channel 4, features a number of celebrities being thrown together for a couple of weeks, completely cut off from the outside world. All their actions and antics are aired 24/7 on Channel 4 and its off-shoots.

The current edition features a Bollywood (Indian film) star, Shilpa Shetty. Also in there is a previous Big Brother contestant, Jade Goody and her mother, as well as a handful of others. Needless to say, I do not watch CBB. I stopped watching Big Brother 3 years ago.

It would appear that Jade Goody, who is a wee bit deficient in the intellectual department, ganged up on the Indian lady and engaged in a spot of bullying with a few others. It appeared to highlight Shilpa's ethnical provenance, and was seen to be racist in nature.

As a result, nearly 20,000 complaints were filed with the broadcasting regulator OfCom, questions were asked of the Prime Minister in Parliament and Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown was asked some pertinent questions on his visit to India this week. Even the Police could make an appearance, if the allegations of overt racism were seen to be substantiated.

All a storm in a teacup to me; the contestants are not aware of the row going on outside, and probably, in the back of their minds, regard it as part of the Big Brother experience. Not very nice, but there you go. I am not belittling those 20,000 complaints, and would applaud some stern words being spoken to those in the BB House. I really think that's all it needs. But, bearing in mind the now world-wide fallout that this useless piece of television has created, it probably will not be enough. Secretly, I hope the whole idea of Big Brother gets ditched. It's grown stale.

Technorati Tags: , ,

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your last word on my journal guido. Re: kate, I read her messages on Adam's blog and I disagreed with her views completely. There are more than 3000 messages on one entry only and there is a lot for Kate to summarise although I am sure she can quickly pick up the best entries to make one of her own by copying the others as she knows so well how to do. Have a look yourself, everything happens in Adam's blog not in Kate's!!!
    How weird! anyway, it is fun. Enjoy, here is the link:

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/cathroadam/BigBrotherSeven/entries/2007/01/17/get-jade-out/1039

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's the link about BB being racist:
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/cathroadam/BigBrotherSeven/entries/2007/01/15/is-big-brother-racist/1037

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie,
    Thanks for info. I do not read Adam's blog because (as I say in post) I don't watch CBB. I have to rely on others to fill me in. My opinion on the show has only be confirmed. Tripe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Racism is such a global deficit of conscious. I dont think I could have watched it. I have the worst attitude these days.  ~raven

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sad life a person must have to find themselves watching other people go about their's.  Especially as an entertainment.  I can think of better things my TV licence can help pay for.
    This fiasco of Big Brother has taken up front page headlines in todays papers  Is there any reality in this world?  Why should such a mediocre programme involve comments from heads of state....for goodness sake!  There are other more serious issues to be sorted out instead of being shunted into this siding called entertainment with its so called racist issues.  Seemingly the audience can vote them out? Shame it couldn't be the programme!

    ReplyDelete