Thursday 25 January 2007

Robert Burns - II

This poem was written by Burns on the back of a banknote

Wae worth thy power, thou cursed leaf!
Fell source of a' my woe and grief,
For lack o' thee I've lost my lass,
For lack o' thee I scrimp my glass
I see the children of affliction
Unaided, through thy curs'd restriction
I've seen the oppressor's cruel smile
Amid his hapless victims' spoil;
And for thy potence vainly wish'd
To crush the villain in the dust.
For lack o' thee I leave this much-lov'd shore,
Never, perhaps, to greet old Scotland more.

5 comments:

  1. Really ?? .love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!  Haven't read that one in a long time!
    Lori
    http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was interesting...enjoyed...thanks for sharing...take care,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this poem. I could so relate although, I'd visit Scotland in a heartbeat,lol. ~Raven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aye Laddie and a fine poem that, was written by himself.  Thirty-six years ago I left Bonny Scotland and like it says N'er to return.  I chanced to live once on the "High Road" and once on the "Low Road".  River Clyde was the main scenery. Good memories especially when me wee daughter won at the Sword Dance and another wee daughter discovered what they wear/don't wear under the kilt. lol
    Cheerio the nue

    ReplyDelete