Friday 19 January 2007

Mission Statement - 2007

In May 2006, I wrote a Mission Statement. Now that the year 2007 is firmly established, I thought I'd revisit and revamp.

In recent times, quite a few new readers have picked up on my blog. A note of warning: it has been going for more than 2 years, so you have more than 2000 entries to go through if you want to read it all. Not to mention the hundred or so in the preceding blog Northern Trip - The Start. Link in linklist. 

I commenced Northern Trip in October 2004, two months after starting my travels around Northern and Western Scotland. In November of that year, I settled in the Isle of Lewis. Things have been on the change since then.

At first, I did a lot of walking in the islands, in all sorts of weather. Later on, I began to get more involved in the local scene, although I am afraid that this has now deteriorated more into an observer's role. That is actually the premise under which I operate my other main blog, Arnish Lighthouse. Again, link in list.

I observe the weather, watch shipping coming and going and go walkabout around Stornoway. This is the capital of the Western Isles, pop 8,000; the islands themselves have 25,000 people. Occasionally, I'll go further afield within Lewis.

I rely heavily on Internet websites for my information, although local and national radio and TV play their part as well. 

Characters: Mrs B and her family and friends; I don't name names. I sometimes give a name of a guest, staying in her B&B.

Isles FM is the local radio station. Manned by volunteers, they mean well but their rate of trip-ups is high. To quote one presenter: "I need electrocution lessons".

Ferries: The Isle of Lewis is the main passenger ferry. She sails daily (except Sundays) for Ullapool at 7.15 and 13.45, arriving back from there at 13.15 and 20.00. The weather tends to wreak havoc with those schedules. The Muirneag is the freight ferry. She carries lorries and trailers in on aseparate schedule, departing for the mainland at midnight and returning at 8.30 a.m.. I am staying on the waterfront, so I see everything that comes and goes.

I have been involved in two historical projects, both relating to World War One. At that time, about 6,000 islanders went out to fight for King and country. 1,000 did not return, having fallen on the field of battle or perished at sea. An additional two hundred drowned on their return from the war. They were on board HMY Iolaire, which was wrecked 2 miles south of Stornoway. Only 75 others survived.
About 100 islanders were interned at Groningen, Holland, for the duration of World War One, after retreating into Holland following battle at Antwerp in October 1914. They were allowed home for the harvest each year, provided they returned to Holland afterwards. Which they did, to a man. That was at a time when a man's word still stood.

Do I work? No.
Am I going to find a job here? Maybe.
Do I have a family? No. My relatives live outwith the island.
How long am I going to be here? Dunno.

What is my blogging remit?

To relay to readers news items I think are of interest. Not just from Lewis, but from the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. There is an emphasis on matters maritime, bearing in mind my position in a small port.

I take a special interest in the weather, and try to relay hurricane warnings where possible.

I have also taken on a role as general blogger, commenting on everything I see fit to comment on. Or not.

Since the spring of 2006, I have become involved in the J-land community here on AOL, and try to adopt a social role, pointing out those in J-land who could do with extra attention for various reasons. If any new blogs come to my attention, I sometimes give them a mention as well.

Any questions? Send me mail, and I'll try to answer.

6 comments:

  1. sounds like you have a pretty good life, huh?!  ;-)  watching the boats and the weather are wonderful pasttimes...

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-I think your staion in life is more than to just pass time.You are our lookout from far over yonder.You see things before they head our way and give us all a heads up as to what is going on even far from your home.I'd say you have a pretty good station in life as it is!!
    I for one think you are wise,thoughtful and diligent in your duty......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh!  That's the way to live......a 'free spirit'.  Following your own interests and sharing them with us.  Well done...I am enjoying visiting with you and all your friendly guests.   Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that answered the one or two questions I had.  Sounds pretty good to me.  I, for one, have welcomed your arrival in the J-land community.  I know there are many others who feel the same.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a wonderful blog, with a great purpose!  It is different, educational and social!  Just fabulous!  :-D

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...Guido, still fascinating and still an enigma.  Love your entries and so glad you stepped into the JLand community.  Chris

    ReplyDelete