Friday 21 December 2007

21 December 1988


One of those days you'll always remember - what did I do when I heard PanAm flight 103 had gone down into Lockerbie? I was watching television, when a special news flash came on. I had visited Lockerbie some 10 years before whilst on holiday in the Borders town of Newcastleton. The images showed a mix of familiarity, like the roadsigns along the A74 trunkroad, which links Glasgow to England. The description of families in the town itself, watching the 9 o'clock news to learn what had happened in their own town a few hundred yards away. The above image of the cockpit of the jetliner, slammed into a field north of the village, where 11 people died when the aircraft impacted the ground.

This link to Wikipedia gives a rundown of events surrounding the crash.

In the aftermath, two Libyans were tried on charges related to the incident at a special court in the Netherlands, declared to be Scottish soil for the duration. One of them was acquitted, the other was sentenced to jail. It has always appeared to me that these two individuals were singled out as scapegoats by Colonel Gadaffi, Libya's leading nutcase. He was the one that should have stood trial there.

This entry is devoted to the memory of the 270 people who lost their lives that day.

6 comments:

  1. Guido, it is something I will never forget, those awful scenes of devastation and destruction.  All those bereaved.  I am glad you have honoured all the dead in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this very well, so sad.  Joni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too remember that day.  It's like that was the beginning of various acts of terriorism.  I'm sure the familes of those 270 souls lost on that plane, still feel a huge gap left by their lost loved ones.  Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I well remember the awful announcement on the TV ,(we were decorating the hall stairs and landing )bless you for reminding us ..love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this also ~ although I confess I did not remember the exact date.  I wonder how the family members have fared throughout the years.  Bless their hearts.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guido
    This was a sad day in history and you are right about who should have been on trial!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete