Saturday 22 December 2007

Classical corner


This video (effectively audio only) contains a recording of one of my all-time classical favourites. I should add that the pop-scene is largely lost on me (and has been for a long time), as I am notoriously picky when it comes to music. Above piece, written by Finnish composer Jean Sibelius, is nicely upbeat, even if the performance in the videoclip is on the slow side.

Sibelius is Finland's national composer, and has some of the most evocative music in the classical repertoire on his name. His main piece, Finlandia, is effectively his country's national anthem. It gained prominence in the 1939/40 war between the Soviet Union and Finland.

7 comments:

  1. How lovely, I am an ardent fan of classical music and have quite a large collection.  I also listen to the aol radio who have a choice of classic stations.  This is one of my favourites also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this Guido! I have enjoyed classical music my whole life. When my son was small I used to play it for him while he played in the house...and now he enjoys it too.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed listening to this.  I go across the board with my tastes in music, I enjoy a little of everything depending on my mood.  
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was just lovely Guedo.  Thank you for sharing it.  Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Full of pomp and daring do or die moods.  I enjoyed this very much.  That's my translation anyway and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was soaring.  Thank you for the 'mind bathe' Guido.
    I really enjoyed that...I sat with my eyes closed and imagined all sorts.
    That's what good music should make you feel like ...I think so anyway.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. heel leuk Guido!
    HUgggggggggggggggggs
    nat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could listen to that kind of music all day.  BEAUTIFUL !!!  Linda in WA

    ReplyDelete