Thursday 20 December 2007

Thursday notes

Morning all from a very sunny but also very cold Stornoway. It is barely +1C / 34F, and the grass is white with hoarfrost. Altnaharra and Aviemore are still at -10C as I type. A change is on the way, as the weather radar shows rain moving into southern Ireland. Milder weather and increasing southerly winds are on the cards for my region.

I am pleased to note that the email commenter feature has disappeared from blogs this morning. I think a concerted effort by us all has made an impact.

Driving whilst on the mobile, whether handheld or handsfree, could land you in prison. If you are found guilty of dangerous driving, this can carry a maximum jailterm of 2 years. Talking on the mobile distracts the mind, more so than talking to a passenger. A passenger is aware of what goes on around the moving vehicle, but the person on the other end of the line is not. One transport company has banned all its employees from using a mobile whilst at work.

The search for the three men, missing after a tug overturned in the Clyde near Glasgow, resumed at first light this morning. The fog lifted on the river, but hopes for the survival of the three crewmembers are fading. Water temperatures are only 2.5C, and air temperatures 0C.

4 comments:

  1. I heard on the news that the water temperature was a lot lower than that Guido, nearer -5c was what they said on itv but it just depends on what time the different bits of news went out I suppose! All I know is that here in Northants the temps were -6c at 8am!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise to the company banning mobile conversations.  I feel all transport companies should institute the same.  I think cell phones should be banned entirely while driving ~ they are nothing but a distraction and rarely is anything so important that a person needs to be on the phone while driving.   Doug was yakking on his Nextel two-way with his friend and ran a full red light, I promptly grabbed the phone and turned it off and told him it is no different than driving while drunk.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about time they clamped down on these mobile phone bans........the amount of people I've seen chatting away on the phone whilst driving.  Sometimes I feel like daubbing them in but I'm not that kind of person really

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. New rules go into effect in Washington state after the first of the year. It has not been against the law up to this point but if you are on your cell and break another law and observed by the police they have been tacking on a $285 fine for the cell use.  After January 1st it is against the law period and the fine will be $285 unless you're in a construction zone then the fine is doubled. It is ok however to use your cell phone while driving if you are using a "hand's free" device. So I need to figure out how to use my Bluetooth. Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete