Monday 24 December 2007

Train stopped

The overnight sleeper train between London Euston and Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Fort William and Glasgow was brought to an unexpected stop at Beattock Summit, halfway between Glasgow and Carlisle at around 3.15 am. The train, which was travelling at 80 mph, struck material left on the track and came to a sudden stop. It did not derail, meaning that there were no casualties. At daybreak, passengers were transferred to Carstairs station, then to their onward destinations by coach. Some had taken the sleeper train to avoid disruptions to flights out of London airports, caused by fog.

1 comment:

  1. That must have been scary for the sleeping passengers. I love to ride the train, love it, love it ! But I've never been on one when there was a mishap.  That would not be fun. I'm happy there were no injuries.     When I was married, we took the train from here to visit friends in North Dakota.  My ex worked for the RR so we traveled for half fare and had a sleeper compartment.  It was so beautful traveling east  (in Feburary) thru the snow and cold weather.  The train stopped in Deer Lodge, Montana and I got off briefly to take a picture of a huge thermometer that was registering 25 degrees below zero.  I'd never seen that before.  Linda in WA

    ReplyDelete