Saturday 15 December 2007

Saturday notes

It's another grey day with chinks in the clouds, and the wind has dropped back another notch to force 6. At least it's dry, but the 9C feels cold in the wind.

Thanks for the approbation on my choices as Guest Editor, it was a difficult job, but done with pleasure. I have outlined the reasoning behind my choices on Magic Smoke. I am looking forward to next week's picks. It was pointed out to me that a write-up on John Scalzi can be anticipated, as John is leaving AOL Journals at the end of the year. I was asked to do that, but as I don't read John (sorry, you can't read all journals) I would not do the man justice.

A woman in the southern English county of Wiltshire lost an arm, and is danger of losing the other following a vicious attack by a Rottweiler dog. The animal has been destroyed. The Rottweiler, a large and powerful breed, has had a very bad press in recent times, following several well publicised cases of severe injury or death as a result of attacks. In this particular case, the dog was picked up on the streets, straying in villages near Salisbury. The animal showed no signs of aggression, but when a handler approached it in kennels, it turned on her. In trying to defend her throat, the dog mauled her arms, one of which had to be amputated. An investigation is on-going, as the dog was abandoned by its previous owner; she has been banned from keeping dogs for 10 years.

In my mind, large dogs can only be kept by people who know how to handle them, and who know how to keep them under control. As soon as a dog thinks it's boss, that's where problems start. Vicious dogs are MADE vicious, although some do have a bad temperament by their nature.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Guido,
    I was stunned when I read that you chose my journal, as Guest Editor of Magic Smoke, as one of your choices for folks to come and read .
    You don't know how happy that made me to be chosen by you.  I did write you a note of thanks earlier this morning and sent it to you privately.
    I feel very honoured.
    Thank you so much.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to that poor woman, it is sad she has to endure this after trying to help the dog.  You are accurate on the statement dogs are made vicious ~ I am sure that particular dog endured quite an unpleasant life prior to coming to the woman.  This is a sad story all around.  

    I was so flattered to see you chose my journal in your picks.  Thank you Guido, your kind words mean a lot to me.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a horrible thing to have happen.  And if she hadn't had her arms up to protect her throat she'd probably be dead.  I agree that dogs are made dangerous by their owners, by mistreated in any form, or by being homeless.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete