Wednesday 19 December 2007

Wednesday notes

Never a day the same in this place. It is a bright day, but with a fair amount of cloud about. You can watch the ever-changing pattern on my webcam. It's playing up right now, but it should be on-line at 1pm GMT (that's 8 am EST). It is less cold than yesterday (5C is not warm or even mild in my book), but it's very calm. Over in mainland Scotland, the mercury is stuck at -9C / 16F right now.

Belgium has an interim government, after 6 months of stalemate. Outgoing PM Guy Verhofstadt has assembled a cabinet, which will remain in office for 3 months, allowing the winners of last June's elections to form a government themselves. The crisis prompted fears the country could be split along linguistical lines.

Action is being urged on the issue of broadband speeds in the UK. I certainly agree with that. Although my ISP says it provides up to 8 Mbps, in reality it's not much above 1 Mbps. Admittedly, I'm 650 miles from their base, but that's no excuse. Read more here. Test your own speed (anywhere in the world) with this site.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck to Belgium.  At least they have a chance of saving the day if they get their finger out!

    1783Kb/s download}
    226 Kb/s Upload     }  from Maidenhead.

    1392kb/s Download}
    207 Kb/' Upload      } from  Dublin

    I haven't got a scoobie doo what that means Guido.  I tested it from both areas.
    Oh well!
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that about broadband on the news this evening.  Totally agree with them.  There is no way I'm getting the proper package from AOHell.  Grrrrrrrr

    Jenny

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife

    ReplyDelete