Saturday 15 December 2007

WARNING

Received a fake email from AOL today (in other words, it was not from AOL), telling me that my latest payment had ostensibly not gone through, and could I please follow that link. No, I will not follow that link, as it does not lead to anything related to AOL.

The link leads to a script on the website of a Danish company.
I've forwarded the mail to COSAction to be dealt with.

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM

The email appears in your Inbox as coming from American-Online-No-Replay-V, and is headed by subject AOL(tm) Member - Your Account Suspension Notice.

The text of the email runs as follows, and is set on a white panel with a light-blue border, made to look like an official email from AOL.

Dear Valued Member,

We were unable to process your most recent payment. Please verify that your billing information is correct to avoid interruption of your Aol Services.

To ensure that your account is not interrupted, please update your billing information by clicking here:
http://billing.aol.com (link disabled)

If your information on file is not updated within 48 hours, we will temporarily suspend your Aol account.

Thank you,

Michael Baldger
AOL Billing Center


13 comments:

  1. I posted this warning over an hour ago Guido as the same thing happened to me.  I reported it to AOL.  They gave me a link to forward the email to which I put on my journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly ,thanks SO much for informing me and everyone. I fell for this 10 yrs ago on AOL and boy, did i make a mess of things.
    lj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank  you Guedo...I have passed on the message to everyone I know on AOL. Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have received one or more of that or a similar email virtually every day since I have been an AOL member (going on a decade). I also get them from (not)eBay, (not)Paypal, and (not)most of the major North American banks.
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.com/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I  just wish there weren't sooooo many scams going on.  I'm in disbelief that there are so many deceitful people.
    http://journals.aol.com/lattedah711/lattedah/    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always hear people saying they get things like this, but I don't. Well, today I did. I reported it also. It was the exact same as yours. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the heads up on this...take care...
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw this in my new mail when I signed on.  These folks should focus their talent on doing something good & useful rather than trying to scam people.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got this today too.  Knew it must be fake and deleted it.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the heads-up Guido.
    I shall take note.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also received one from Bank of America saying the same thing and I don't bank with them... and it had the same ending email address I think as the AOL one...
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guido,
    Thank you so much for the warning. I heard about this in my group too.

    Huggers,
    Gayla

    ReplyDelete
  13. I spammed it into the folder immediately it didn't have the official blue  sending thing... dang spammers!

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete