Tuesday 25 December 2007

Spyware

This is a novel variety of virus, which has been giving me a few headaches over the past 12 months. They surreptitiously install themselves on the PC and proceed to pass information to people you don't want it to go to. Spyware also interferes with the proper running of the PC, as experienced by myself. The first indication is an unsollicited change of page in your internet browser, usually to that of a site pretending to sell anti-spyware software. If you fall for that ruse, you are more than likely to be severely compromised.

Point of this tale is to suggest to install reliable anti-spyware software. Adaware 2007 and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 are the most common ones - they are both free. A sweep every week is advisable.

5 comments:

  1. Guido
    Great advice, I hope everyone protects themselves!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I fell for Antispy Storm hook, line and sinker.  How stupid I was.  JMO but spyware is worse than viruses right now.  Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been using Ad-Aware for yrs, upgraded now, it's better I'd say than Spybot.  Ad-Aware in full scan (not smart scan) gets everything, very thorough.  Malware has never been my problem, it's my registry - invalid files, paths, and I think I may have to uninstall.  The whole thing may be corrupt now.  Lovely.  CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use both of those and CCleaner to keep junk from accumalating on my limited hard drive.  For anti-virus I've been using AVG for about a year now.  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up on this & the links.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete